• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Live rock

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
We are fixing to start purchasing pieces for our Octo tank. I’ve researched the benefits of live rock- which is what we are going to do. However the live rock harvested from the oceans is insanely pricy to purchase for a full tank so we want to mix some “wet” live rock in with our majority of the “dry” live rock that is more budget fitting. Where have y’all found the best website to source the “wet” live rock from? We want a good amount of “moving” guests on it to aid in establishing the cycle.

Side note: We will also be putting in live sand. Is the CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Aquarium Sand suitable for an Octopus tank? I am concerned with it being in a permade bag- will it be “alive” enough? We have a 65 gallon tank and I would like a thick layer suggestions on poundage?

Hello.
Do it this way. Buy dry rock and get a good substrate. As long as it is saltwater safe. Buy a bottle of Turbo Start or Dr. Tims and start it that way. My understanding is real live rock is illegal to harvest now. You can a get certain kind of rock that has been placed in the ocean purposely for a while to allow things to grow on it, but other than my lfs I don't know where to buy that.
I would avoid a deep sand bed. Something shallow that you can mix up regularly is better.
My number one recommendation is to try to get your filtration to take the bio load. Don't let the tank take a lot of the bio filtering burden.

Hello.
Do it this way. Buy dry rock and get a good substrate. As long as it is saltwater safe. Buy a bottle of Turbo Start or Dr. Tims and start it that way. My understanding is real live rock is illegal to harvest now. You can a get certain kind of rock that has been placed in the ocean purposely for a while to allow things to grow on it, but other than my lfs I don't know where to buy that.
I would avoid a deep sand bed. Something shallow that you can mix up regularly is better.
My number one recommendation is to try to get your filtration to take the bio load. Don't let the tank take a lot of the bio filtering burden.
The placed rock is what I was referring to- my apologies on not making that known in the OP. How shallow of a sand bed do you recommend? As far as filtration goes we will have sump that will have a protein skimmer for up to 75 gallons of a heavy bio load so we are still 10 gallons shy of the max. We also have a place in the sump to start a refugium so we’re going to give that a go as well!

About a half inch.
Put a lot of bio media in the sump. Those export bricks are one to try.
The purpose of having the filtraion take the bioload instead of the tank is so you can redecorate/rearrange or remove and replace with not much of a problem. I run a very minimalist tank. The freedom to rearrange is very nice in a tank.
What is your target species.

This is my bigger tank for reference to what I mean.

Attachments

• 20211212_225603.jpg
    20211212_225603.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
What a great looking tank!

We are going for a Bimac!
Good choice. Bimacs are a good choice. They are easy to keep and if you do things right you can raise some babies.
Make sure your temperature stays lower.
If you can afford a chiller do it. If you can't though it is ok, as long as the temperature is within range. Aim to keep it under 72.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back