• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New Giant Squid Video Reported on Reuters!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered

Attachments

• conv_302863.jpg
    conv_302863.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 112

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
[News]: Japanese researchers film live giant squid, say numbers may be ... - Interna

[SIZE=-2]Zee News[/SIZE]

Japanese researchers film live giant squid, say numbers may be ...
[SIZE=-1]International Herald Tribune, France - 1 hour ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]AP. TOKYO: A Japanese research team has succeeded in filming a giant squid live — possibly for the first time — and says the elusive creatures may be more ... [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Giant squid caught on video by Japanese scientists [SIZE=-1]Reuters[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 12 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
[News]: Giant squid caught on video by Japanese scientists - Zee News

Giant squid caught on video by Japanese scientists
[SIZE=-1]Zee News, India - 18 minutes ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Images of the squid -- a relatively small female about 3.5 meters (11 ft 6 in) long and weighing 50 kg (110 lb) -- were the ultimate prize for zoologists at ... [/SIZE]

More...

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
WE LOVE YOU MONTY

Look at the second shot of the scientist turned fisherman pulling the poor brute in; the eye seems to open and close, amazing footage! Some idiot stole my and some of my colleagues' docked laptops today during our ten minute break... This is a perfect gift to compensate, however!

PS: Watch the "tiger striping" effect on the upper arms, that's a novelty to me at least!

PPS: Thank (fill in deity of choice) for network backup...

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
WOW! At last this clearly shows Architeuthis' eyes as they appear in life. The above mentioned "tiger striping" in higher resolution appears to be abbrasion, as usual :sad:

Mola Mola

Cuttlefish
Registered
Why are they saying for the first time? Wasn't one filmed months ago? Sure the Footage was nowhere near as cool as this but it was filmed, unless i missed something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kezrah

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak