New Giant Squid Video Reported on Reuters!

[News]: Researchers Catch Live Giant Squid - Hawaii Channel.com

Researchers Catch Live Giant Squid
[SIZE=-1]Hawaii Channel.com, HI - 9 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Japanese researchers captured a 24-foot-long squid earlier this month. But they believe this was the first time anyone has successfully ... [/SIZE]

More...

[News]: Giant squid caught in Japan - Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone

Giant squid caught in Japan
[SIZE=-1]Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone, CA - 14 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In this handout photograph, Tsunemi Kubodera, chief of Division of Invertebrate Zoology at the National Science Museum of Japan, sits behind a Giant Squid on a ... [/SIZE]

More...

[News]: Giant squid captured! - Mongabay.com

Giant squid captured!
[SIZE=-1]Mongabay.com - 17 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]... Giant squid are marine mollusks related to cuttlefish and the octopus. They are deep-ocean dwellers that can grow to at least 10 ... [/SIZE]

More...

Hey Phil, your comments are spot on... nothing beats a line with bait, it would seem! And thanks for posting that untarnished video. Amazing (and sad).

Dragonfish, don't be such a stranger! :wink: (but I'm glad you thought of us)

Urrrr... Thanks octobot, I think we've caught the gist of it:wink:

Any thoughts on the disturbance in the water in the third part of the video sequence (the "floater" bit)? Are these tentacles lashing or deaththrows/water jetting out of the syphon?

I just love this little christmas surprise.

Total agreement, hadn't seen the "untarnished" video yet, needed to install a new Flash version first.

As a further PS: I think the way the mantle appears joined with the head reminds me a lot of the "large unidentified squid" caught on remote camera a few years back where we couldn't quite make our minds up on species and size; I will definitely revisit that photograph.

PPS: Anyone have access to jmonthly.com? I was trying to access the attached.

Awesome stuff. Now we just need to outfit a few regular fisherman in the same area with video cameras asking the to video stuff like this. I think you could do this for quite a few unknown species and come up with some worthwhile footage. It's got to be cheaper to send out 12 mediocre cameras with regular fisherman than to go out in a boat dedicated to this.

I agree with monty on the arms issuse though, this is a creature that leaves scars on whales, so I am pretty sure that it has the strength to lift its arms out of the water. It might be lazy, but I don't think that it is weak.

I think you are refering to the still photos, which when they showed them in sequence looked like a video. I too thought that until I saw them replay the "still photos" on this latest news video.

Sorry. Previous post was in reference to this:

Mola Mola;84890 said:
Why are they saying for the first time? Wasn't one filmed months ago? Sure the Footage was nowhere near as cool as this but it was filmed, unless i missed something?

I’m only a novice “squid hugger” but here are some of my observations about the video: Yes, it is interesting that there is always an attempt for squid squads to claim that their squid photo was the first live squid photo. Although there have been many “first” photographs, I think this is the first video. I do wonder why Kubodera didn’t attach a video camera on to the hook two years ago. And I, like many of you, wonder what is left out of the recent film. Since the camera is filming from the boat, it can be assumed that the camera didn’t record the squid in its “natural environment” but recorded the squid hooked on the surface. The video that was cut out likely shows the struggle of the “squidmen” reeling in the squid. Unless there were two cameras, one on the hook/line and one on the boat, then the rest of the film is only relevant to see just how much the people struggled in reeling the squid in. The struggle is not really media friendly, especially because the squid did die. No one wants to see that kind of violence in a scientific discovery story, right?

And as many people indicated, the squid was strong enough to require two people to reel her in, meaning that the squid is probably strong enough to lift its arms out of the water. But here is my question, because of the (here is where I sound really novice) ammonia concentrations(?), wouldn’t being on the surface make the squid heavier than when it is at depth? What I’m trying to ask is: is it possible that the squid would have a more difficult time getting its arms out of the water simply because it is not suppose to be at the surface? In general, it seems like that question is not as relevant as some other questions simply because squid are only at the surface when dying or dead or in some type of distress. I could be misunderstanding this, let me know.

About the tiger stripes on the arms (or are they called legs?), I’m not sure of the significance of that. Is it because the giant squid does in fact change colors, something I was told was a myth (Because they live in pitch black there would be no need?) Would the tiger striping mean that is a type of distress call as shown with other squids? There is likely many cuts, etc., on the squids arms, mitigating the tiger stripe evidence, although I did noticed that the mantle changing between white and red, too. (By the way, that red is beautiful!)

Thanks for all your comments—I’m always tuning in to hear what you say about the two years ago pics, to now, and even when the Crocodile hunter passed away.

Cheers and Merry Cephalopodmas.

:welcome: Tina, interesting questions you have...

The ammonia in the squid's tissues makes the animal weigh essentially zero in the water (because it's almost exactly the same density as water)-- unlike animals with air bladders, since it's mostly incompressible, its density shouldn't change appreciably at different pressures, so it should weigh effectively zero at the surface, too. However, as soon as part if it goes outside the water, that part will weigh a lot (in fact, exactly what the same volume of water weighs!) so its arms and tentacles are probably not really optimized for moving their own weight, but they are well-suited to wrestling with prey and fending off whales, so one might think they'd be strong enough to lift themselves just based on that...

As for color changes, Architeuthis does have chromatophores that allow it to change color (notice how red it is in the live video, but it's paler in the after-death pic) Nixon & Young note that the brain area that controls the chromatophores in Arichiteuthis is less delveloped than a lot of cephs that live up in the light, so it probably doesn't do much that's too sophisticated, though. Certainly, being red at the surface is pretty much being black at depth, because the red end of the spectrum gets filtered out very rapidly by water, so the red color is probably useful for sneaking up on lunch. Since these animals have such huge eyes, it may be that they can see each other's coloring even when most animals can't see them at all, so they could use color changes to signal others of their species... However, it's probably quite possible that the stripes are more the result of trauma from the capture than patterns that the squid creates...

[News]: Giant Squid Seems Built For Speed - Playfuls.com

Giant Squid Seems Built For Speed
[SIZE=-1]Playfuls.com, Romania - Dec 23, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A breakthrough video of a giant squid led Japanese biologists to conclude that the mysterious sea beast is capable of high-speed movement through the depths. ... [/SIZE]

More...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back