? Nautilus shell growth

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
D, I think it is the perspective of looking at an involute shell and an evolute shell, and a shell with ornamentation and without ornamentation, and an internal mold showing all the old chambers and an external view of the shell not showing the internals. by the way, all chamber formation is done internally so it is not visible on Nautiloids or Ammonoids... unless you break away the shell.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Thanks @cuttlegirl, the Xray and "engulf" explain what I could not visualize and @Architeuthoceras understanding that it is the same in both but something I just did not get changes my conundrum to an amazement of how I did not realize I did not really understand something I thought was rather simple. Now I wonder how many other laymen have the same misconception an don't "see" that the shell is not simply extended with each new sizing. One thing I think this points out is that seeing animals in their natural habitat awakens awareness and I think it rather cool that it hit me like that.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
@gjbarord , Keep pumping out videos and social media and hope that others see something that makes them stop and think. Hopefully it will open some pocketbooks. Oddly, I don't feel at all ignorant because of my lack of understanding but feel the videos exposed something that I realized I understood incorrectly for a very long time. Obviously this is not a controversial issue but suspect visuals without preaching are more likely to elicit this kind of reaction than written text or speeches.