Help Identifying Nautilus Shell

Vicki

Hatchling
Registered
Hello.

I went to an auction and bid on a lot. Turns out there were three shells in the lot with a bunch of other miscellaneous items. A nautilus, and abalone and a MOP. I am trying to get more information on the nautilus because I know zero about them, not that I know that much more about the other two. Anyway, can somebody help me identify what I have in the photos? Most I have seen have black on them. I haven't found any without the black. I don't know if that means anything.

Thank you,

Vicki

Attachments

• IMG_3086.JPG
    IMG_3086.JPG
    903 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3087.JPG
    IMG_3087.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 374
  • IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 306
Small FYI, the all white along the newest section (toward the opening where the animal was living) of the shell shows that it was an adult. Here is a link to an image showing the umbilicus difference between N. pompilius and N. macromphalus (scroll down the page and look to the right. Click on the image to get a larger display and more info. If you place your cursor on the names at the top, there is a popup that describes the umbilicus.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back