• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

My first O. Hummelincki

Thanks for the input Joe. Ya I'm not trying to rush the jump. I want a nice gradual climb. I've always kept my water at 8.4. This switch was just a little hic-up. I'm sure I'll get it back up there. It's just a matter of time.

Here are few updated photos of my tank as it is now. Please note that it will change. I still have to finish the island. It is tanking longer than expected due to the amount of rock and sand needed to construct it, and the cost of those materials.

Attachments

• conv_296321.jpg
    conv_296321.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • conv_296322.jpg
    conv_296322.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
  • conv_296323.jpg
    conv_296323.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
No. I try not to glue or drill or anything. I purely use the weight and shape of the rocks combined with gravity to press the rocks together. Glad you like the design. I should have the island finished this weekend.

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but FWIW I have seen a couple of large tank setups where the owner has used lava rock bolders from a landscape store to replace some of the liverock. The lava rock costs much less, and serves essentially the same purpose as long as you have some liverock to seed it. The only real issue is that some worry about trace metals in lava rock. I've also seen milkcrates used to create structures, then you only need to cover the crate and you have the height you are looking for. Sort of a liverock veneer. Worth considering if you are looking for a large amount.

Ya know all about modeling structures. I chose to use just rock and sand because I wanted a solid structure. I wouldn't recomend lava rock due to it's coarse texture. I would be worried about animals damaging thrmselves against it. What is FWIW?

I'll keep that in mind next time I put together a reef tank, but I just can't see using it in a cephalopod tank. I'd worry too much about them cheese grating themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak