• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

My first O. Hummelincki

Now that shocked me a lot! when I saw her inside the rock with her pale green coloration, she looked small. When she was on the base rock of the island again she looked small. Yet when she was on the oyster reef, she actually showed her true size. She is now twice the size of when I placed her in the tank. Now she's almost the size of a small baby's pacifier. (sorry about the rough comparison, but I'm not good at measuring them and I didn't have a ruler in hand that I could place against the glass)

After the photo shoot yesterday, she went back into her den and hadn't come back out all night. So I eventually just stuck the krill in the hole next to her and she took it.

I had to save a snail this afternoon. I moved a pump from one side of the tank to right over her den, and the snail attached to it fell off. Of course being such an opportunistic eater as she is, when I came back she had it pulled in and trying to eat it. I took this chance to feed her some krill. This hopefully spared the snail another day.

Dinner went well with bubbles. She ate two large pieces of krill. I lured her out of her den completely by a few inches with the first piece. I just finished moving the rest of the rock around and adding some more light to the tank. The island is still incomplete but I smoothed out the sand in the aquarium portion and moved the mechanical parts around. Over all the tank is looking so much better. The moving of rocks and sand clouded the tank slightly so I'll post pictures later in the evening when it clears up again. Shouldn't take but thirty minutes or so.

With regard to pH, I'm sure you already know this but be very careful about trying to reach the ideal level chemically. In my reef tanks I never quite got to the "magical" 8.2 that people advise. If you continually add buffer you will fight this battle forever. I would advise a change, and if the pH won't stay where you want it so be it.

Note: I know nothing about ceph's and am entirely new to this myself, but quick changes are typically what harms inverts. Just trying to help.

Joe

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Cephs need an 8.4 PH. Maintaining it has been a discussion in several threads. An argonite substrate helps but I have to buffer all my water to keep the PH up.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak