• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

My first O. Hummelincki

I know it's hard to see, but that orangish red mass in the back of the third picture above is a miniature oyster reef I constructed of several oyster shells. Here are a few pictures of the island and rock work.

Attachments

• conv_296267.jpg
    conv_296267.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
  • conv_296268.jpg
    conv_296268.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
  • conv_296269.jpg
    conv_296269.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
My fiance has just told me that our stingray, who I call "little buddy", that his name is "Stingy Ray". I said no it is "little buddy" and she put her emphisis on "Stingy Ray."

Another day and everything looks fine. The water is almost completely crystal clear. Other then the feeding my fiance did yesterday, Bubbles hasn't been seen since we moved everything over. I've tried looking, but with the way the rock is piled on top of one another, and the fact that there is over 100 lbs of rock, and that Bubbles can sit on a quarter and not go over the edges makes it quit difficult to find her if she doesn't wish to be seen. :frown: Never the less I still scan the tank when ever I walk past it in hopes to find her scurrying about the tank.

I just found bubbles. She has moved into the rock that jewels used the live in before she out grew it. I would've taken a picture but she squized back into the rock when the light hit her.

Ok so these are the result of today's water test.

PO3 - 0.5 ppm
NO3 - 20 ppm
NO2 - 0 ppm
NH3/NH4 - 0 ppm
pH - 7.8

I realize the pH is low. I'm doing a 10% water change as well as adding calcium. I will also be placing 20lbs of lace rock & 30 lbs of sand. Oh and as for your question dwhaltey (sorry if I spelled that wrong), the rock was lace rock. I found out when I bought more today. Anyways hopefully this should finish off the island. Does anyone know if adding wet or dry substrate affects pH of salt water? Should I be adding buffer every time I put rock or substrate in the tank?

P.S.
I saw bubbles this morning. I was able to see more of her, but still not her entire body. She's still in the rock that Jewels used to den up in. I will try to coax her out with some krill later.

Here it is folks. At long last the picture everyone has been waiting for. I finally managed a decent picture of Bubbles. She was slightly out of the rock and I just managed to squeeze my way behind the tank to get this picture. None the less it is proof of her over all health and existence.

Attachments

• conv_296288.jpg
    conv_296288.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63

sulley

Wonderpus
Registered
glad ahe is still alive...i dont think the coloring is good though...not sure i have seen this color after my last octo tuck passed..hopefully others will chime in

This has been a common coloration of hers ever since I bought her. Though when I put the light on her she quickly turned black and winced a little back into her hole. I haven't tried feeding her yet. The water clouded up a little from the sand and liquid calcium I added a while ago and I'm just waiting for all of that to settle.

If you look at the pictures on post #56 you'll see what I mean. She normally exhibits this coloration when ever she is inside a rock, turning her black/brown/white mottled coloration when she is out and about. I'll see what I can do about sneaking another picture or two if she's still on the outskirts of that rock. The problem is that she's smack in the middle of the rock pile at the back of the tank and it's hard to get a good shot of her. The tank sites only about 6" from the wall. So it's not really the best area for photography.

Ok well when I went in there just now she was out and on the rocks. And just like I said, she had turned her black/brown/white mottled coloration, except it was mainly black this time. Well here are a few pictures I took. I had to take them from above the tank looking down into the water due to cloudiness. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• conv_296289.jpg
    conv_296289.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 69
  • conv_296290.jpg
    conv_296290.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
  • conv_296291.jpg
    conv_296291.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64

Forum statistics

Threads