My first O. Hummelincki

Yes, she didn't eat the whole thing. She didn't even eat a 1/4 of it. So for now I'll just stick to krill. She eats all of it when I give it to her. From what I've experienced with Jewels and Bubbles is that if you give them to large a piece of food, they tend to eat less than if you were to give them several smaller pieces.

Bubbles is showing more and more interest in my fiance and I. Every time we come near the tank she perks up and tends to lean towards us. I hand fed her two pieces of krill. She kept grabbing my fingers. She's so beautiful. She hangs out more on the reef now. I figure this is because it's closer to us, and gives her more of a vantage point of the entire open area of the tank.

Last night I was scrubbing the front and back glass and Bubbles thought it would be fun to play chase/tag with the scrub brush. At first it scared her, but every time after that when it would get close, she would try and grab it. She succeeded a few times. lol After I was done I went to move the theometer out of the oyster reef which she was right behind the theometer. As soon as I grabbed it and started pulling, so did she. lol She was just in such a playful mood last night. I had a blast. To end the evening on a good note I hand fed her two pieces of krill. She took them both and crawled into an oyster shell to settle down for dinner. All in all it was a great night.

On another note. The guy has not finished building the platform for me so I will have to go another few days. He has a bad memory, so I'm going to have to stay on him to get it done. I just hope he remembers exactly how I want it built. Anyways I figure I'll have it by next weekend than. Sucks, but what can you do?

I got to see Bubbles passing cloud this evening for the first time. Unfortunately it was while she was stalking one of the fish. Luckily I was able to feed her some krill before she had a helping of tuna.

Well I think I'm going to do away with the little rock jettie. Though it looks nice and I really like the rock outcrop I have going with it, I think it will be much nicer if the whole area was open. I also moved the reef to the far end of the tank. This kind of stretches my light thin so I'll have to figure something out to fix that.

The mangroves finally came in. All looked in good condition. I placed them inside the whisper filter so they can sit under the halide until I get the island fixed. I expect this to be completed before this weekend.

I was scrubbing the front glass today and Bubbles kept trying to steal the scrub brush. I finally let her grab it when I finished. She explored it for a few seconds and I guess she decided it wasn't worth her trouble. I then went to feed her. I tried hand feeding her but she grabbed my fingers instead. When I pulled away and tried again, she shot some water at me via her siphon as if to say, "Screw you man. If I can't play with your fingers I don't want your food." lol so I put the krill on a stick and offered it again. This time she took it ravenously and even tried taking the stick. About another 30 minutes or so go by and I go back to take some pictures. The glass was smudged so I started wiping it with a towel. Seeing this, Bubbles started lashing out with one of her arms trying to get the towel through the glass. I thought that was so cute. She's become so interactive with my fiance and I. So much more than Jewels had ever been. I'm posting a few pictures of Bubbles and of some changes I've made to the tank.

Attachments

• conv_296384.jpg
    conv_296384.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • conv_296385.jpg
    conv_296385.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
  • conv_296386.jpg
    conv_296386.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 78
  • conv_296387.jpg
    conv_296387.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 89
Well I'm giving up on the island idea. As nice as it is, I'm just not liking the progress, or lack there of that has thus far taken place. I don't have so much sand that I can't spread it across the tank evenly without growing anaerobic bacteria. I'm still unsure as to how I'm going to place the rocks. I'm thinking of wither a few small reef heads scattered around the tank or just one large one in the middle with possible small ones speckling the sides.

So I've totally disassembled the "island" I released a bit of gas into the water, but I don't think it was too much. None of the fish seem to be affected by it. The tank is now clouded with sediment. I'll have to wait before I start the construction/re-arrangement of the rocks. The way I see this going is having the rocks create a couple of channels that I can direct current through. Maybe I can create one large trench. Still not sure. During the tear-down of the "island" Bubbles came over to check it out, and not seeing her I scared her a little causing her to ink. :frown: She didn't seem too scared cause she didn't leave. She just squated down and let a little ink out. Then slowly crawled away.

Attachments

• conv_296396.jpg
    conv_296396.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 113

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back