Mimic or Wunderpus?

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Wunderpus.
It does have interesting mantle markings, but the suckers, the patterning, the arms and the horns on the eyes all say wunderpus.

And it looks like a male.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
(thread moved to "exotics"-- no worries, just that's the policy for wunderpus and mimics)

Mimic and Wonderpus (Thaumoctopus mimicus and Wonderpus Photogenicus respectively) are rare species of octopus in which wild populations have not been assessed. In the wild they have incredible displays and are very interesting, however they almost never do well in aquariums; rarely living longer than a few weeks.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
ah. theyre spoken about like theyre not themselves octopi. so does anyone know where theyre from? how come they arent as researched as other octopi? just curious.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
wait a second you're from sandy dude? thats a coincidence. i lived there for a while. my parents still do. went to alta and all.

They are found in mud flats around Indonesia. Their niche is small and they burrow in the mud so it takes luck or patience to observe them. Both are recently discovered and no biologist has taken the time yet to study them in-depth enough to know much about their behaviors or lifestyle.

That's cool; I go to Jordan :smile:.