• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Wunderpus journal

fang

Blue Ring
Registered
Thank you guys for the replies! The kind words mean a lot to me. Mimics and wunderpus are 2 of my favorite octos and since they are so unknown I love to be able to share my experience with everyone. She's been out all morning so far and is looking for more crabs so I will have to feed her after this post. She eats around 2 crabs a day which is great how she's eating so voraciously. I will keep you guys updated throughout her life and hopefully its a long one!

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Love it! Great template for a journal -- daily updates for a while, shift to weekly if a pattern emerges. :thumbsup:

fang

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey sorry for the wait. Been busy haha. She still is doing great, taking around 2 small crabs a day. Same old news which is good news! Also do you guys think this dog toy is safe to use for her? I also got ping pong balls that I can use if those are ok as well.

Attachments

• image (7).jpg
    image (7).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 16

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
looks awesome!! I am not an expert but that said I would be wary of the red toy -- would definitely want to know exact detail of the materials it's made of. I wonder if there are procedures for "staging" enrichment items ... i.e., how to best sanitize / prepare toys for introduction. Others who have done this will hopefully provide some guidance! Also try our forum search for enrichment.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
well there's our expert advice! 😁 -- thanks, @sedna!
My opinion is based on the fact that it looks like hard rubber- like the brand “Kong.” I know people have used clean Kong toys to fill with food for their octopuses, and the fact that they sink is nice. Personally, I haven’t tried it- so I should’ve stated that up front!!!
Personally, I’ve tried cat toys (for tug-o-war) made of the same materials. I’ve also used “Unifix” cubes, which are actually a math manipulative for kids- but they are great for a size reference.

None of my octopuses have ever really played with toys on their own! They seem to have more fun chasing CUC and mimicking live rock, or else playing “follow the finger” and “hide and seek” with us.