Looking for octos in Canada (Ontario)

Tentacle Toast

GPO
Supporter
Hi there...

...I live in a suburb of Buffalo. There's a place in North Tonawanda ( ~20 min drive from either the Peace or Rainbow bridges...pretty much smack dab in the middle, actually) called "The Fish Place" that I've twice seen octopus, though many years apart. The only problem with that place in my experience is the pretentiousness of the staff. Before you take the drive, you may want to call them: (716)693-4411. Good luck, neighbor!

Last edited:

creature55

Cuttlefish
Registered
I'll take the credit for their foresight to take a photo before they are quarantined (whether I deserve it or not) :sagrin:. They have briareus pretty much down pat but you can start your journal (hint, hint) with the preshipment photo :wink:

Here's one of the pictures I got from KP! Sure looks small to me for a briareus. They said they've had it for a month already too. Maybe it's just really young.
KPbriareus.jpg
Any thoughts?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
LOL, The species is correctly named. It is small because it is a baby of just a few months old. K&P don't usually collect the larger animals because the shipping cost (water weight) for the larger animals is excessive for a safe shipment (and most keepers prefer the youngest animals they can find for tank longevity).

You can look as some of the images of Kooah's tank born to get an idea of age sizes (it does vary but at least you can see the stages from some of the photos). For final size, the two survivors Mama Cass and Tatanka have independent adult journals.

creature55

Cuttlefish
Registered
Fantastic! This species seems particularly short-lived, so I'm glad it's quite young.
Any tips on being able to sex it at some point? Would be a dream come true to be able to breed a pair one day!
Also, may I ask what your preferred method of covering the top of the tank is? I'm thinking of just getting a sheet of acrylic cut to size...and somehow devising a way to have access for feeding/maintenance. I will also be covering the return pipes and powerhead with mesh netting.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Life span is average (about 12-18 months) for a warm water, medium sized octopus. There are several secure top suggestions in the tank talk forum's stuck How To thread and additional build out pictures in its Tank Buildouts sticky.

You will want to be very sure to securely cover any access to the impeller for any kind of power head. I use a Koralia style for water movement and put a zippered mesh filter bag around it. Dark accesses are a lure for arms and if they terminate in an impeller, missing arms (at best) will occur. Be sure to provide plenty of dark secure places for it do den. If you can see it, it will not feel secure. One big disadvantage of getting an animal this young is that you will not see much of it for a few months.

Here are a bunch of photos to help sex the animal. I think it is too young yet to detect the hectocotylized arm though. When it approaches 5 months old you should begin to see the telltale curled arm (third arm to the right as you align your eyes with the animal's).

Latest Posts