Hello from Florida! Former octo owner

jcvanpel

Hatchling
Registered
Hiya there!

I'm so glad to see Tonmo is still here and active. I used to be a member quite a long time ago... I think its been 10 or 15 years.

I've cared for two different octopus back then; so I know what I'm getting into. For the last few years I've been moving around; but finally I find myself in a stable location going to school full time. I moved to Daytona Beach Florida where I will be studying to become a Chiropractic doctor for the next 4 years.

Anyways, I'm considering picking up a pet octo. :smile: I need to do some research on tanks as I recall an octoproofed tank is always an issue.

I was really wondering if there have been any developments in the aquaria industry as it pertains to octopus being tank bred? There used to be a breeder in california and that is where I got my first octo. We go along great! Calamari was a great companion and lived a full life. My second octo was wild caught and the experience was not nearly as pleasant.

Just curious,

Nice to meet you all again!

I'm so glad to see Tonmo is still here and active. I used to be a member quite a long time ago... I think its been 10 or 15 years.
Welcome back! ...I wonder what your username was; it's should still be accessible :smile:

Active tank breeding in the hobbyist community is fairly non-existent, as far as I can tell. One of the developments since you've been gone :old: is a substantial investment and studying happening out of the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, MA. The folks there are breeding and raising, but only share eggs and juveniles with other labs, not hobbyists.

Honestly I'm fine with starting over with a new username. My old one was probably something silly from when I was a kid haha.

I suspected as much about captive breeding.

Well, since I live in Florida now, when the season comes around maybe I can rescue one from local fisherman. Maybe... save one from becoming dinner.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back