It's Official: TONMOCON III in Monterey Bay

OK, maybe we can get a group together for lunch. I wonder if people are wanting to tour the aquarium more on Friday or Sunday...

There are 2 aquariums. Maybe some of you could manage the Monterey A. on Friday and the Steinhart on Sunday.... just a thought form someone who can't do either. Grrrrr.

I'm very excited to attend TONMOconIII. I was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium two weeks ago. They had just put 26 juvenile cuttlefish on display. They were fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing them again at the aquarium.

Squink

tonmo;138052 said:
Dr. James, that would be great. We've had a couple of last-minute cancels and arguably we've got another :30 on the agenda. I could put you at 3:45 and Dr. Zeidberg at 4:15.

I would like to present on recent work on squid ink as a visual cue and as a predator deterrent. I can put something fun together on short notice. I bet this topic will likely follow very nicely from Stephlopod’s presentation on “Deep sea squid defensive behaviors”.

As for enrichment, I hope to add research to this new field in the future once I figure out where/how to set up a small wet lab in or around Long Beach.

James

Thales, Greg, Tony and anyone else I have virtually talked to over the years but never met, please say hi!

ceph;138094 said:
As for enrichment, I hope to add research to this new field in the future once I figure out where/how to set up a small wet lab in or around Long Beach.

James

There used to be a company in Long Beach that had a wet lab - it was on PCH at the intersection of Maine Ave., across from the La Mirage Inn. The company moved (can't recall the name at the moment), but the building was set up for a sea water lab.

The organization was SCCWRP. http://www.sccwrp.org/view.php?id=33

Tonmo dissection

Hi folks,
Where will the dissection be? I bought a box of bait last year that is Illex so we can do a comparison. There is a slim chance I'll get a Dosidicus, but don't get your hopes up.
James, The PGE facility in Redondo had a wetlab as result of mitigation. But this was 6 years ago.
-Lou Squidberg

:smile: The dissection will be in the banquet room at the Travelodge at 8pm on Friday (unless someone has another location to suggest). Dosidicus would be AWESOME but I imagine I'd need to clear that with the hotel. Do you have any input or guidance on clean-up procedures or concern over lingering smell? It's the same place hotel guests will be eating complementary breakfast the next morning (and where we'll be giving presentations starting at 11am).
:squidaut:

ceph;138094 said:
I would like to present on recent work on squid ink as a visual cue and as a predator deterrent. I can put something fun together on short notice. I bet this topic will likely follow very nicely from Stephlopod’s presentation on “Deep sea squid defensive behaviors”.

Done!

ceph;138094 said:
Thales, Greg, Tony and anyone else I have virtually talked to over the years but never met, please say hi!

Will do!

Room at the Travelodge up for grabs. If any one is planning on going and still doesn't have a room, The room that Erich was going to be in is now available. It was reserved at the $99.00 per night rate, which is good for Monterey. If any one needs it, pm me and I'll send you the confirmation number. Otherwise it will be empty, and who wants to have to drive after a night of partying with other ceph heads?

tonmo;138052 said:
Dr. James, that would be great. We've had a couple of last-minute cancels and arguably we've got another :30 on the agenda. I could put you at 3:45 and Dr. Zeidberg at 4:15.

Is Roy giving a talk? I'm not sure but think some of his fieldwork was rescheduled, so he might be in town.

mucktopus;138176 said:
Is Roy giving a talk? I'm not sure but think some of his fieldwork was rescheduled, so he might be in town.

I emailed with him this week - it didn't seem like he had time to go and is swamped with paperwork. He did send me some pics for the O.c talk. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back