It's Official: TONMOCON III in Monterey Bay

Packing reminder:

Monterey can be really chilly... misty, foggy, windy, etc, so don't think "It's California summer, I can just bring shorts and T-shirts!" You may well need a sweater and long pants, and maybe a light jacket. Of course, I hope for good weather, so would encourage you to bring the shorts as well...

Would be great to finally meet! I briefly spoke of you and the first days of TONMO.com in the Cephalopodcast I did last night. It should be posted by Jason in a day or two.

I am so excited - my sweet hubby has managed to make sure that I am able to stop over in Monterey since we have had to return to CA early.

We've been here (in CA) off and on (mostly 'on') for about a month now and I'm really looking forward to this.

That is assuming, of course, there is still room and/or it is still OK to join.

I wish I'd been able to post this sooner but I've had little access to internet while we've been back and forth. Or when available, trying to log on to a new network took too long to get anywhere. :banghead:

Squid Dissection

Hi Folks,
I will try to make it Friday at 8. I do not have any Dosidicus to dissect, but it is on the menu at Rosine's. A pair of scissors is all that is really needed, and there is a Longs and a Safeway just up Fremont from the lodge in case one does not feel like traveling with squid/sharps. I also like to bring a box of baby wipes, I find this draws in a few of the more aprehensive participants. Another activity is to paint them and then make pressings on T-shirts or paper. One can even use the ink. Remember, for the shirts water color is only good for one washing.
Here is an education module I helped to create in case we want to have balloon races.
http://www.marine.usf.edu/pjocean/packets/sp01/sp01u7p2.pdf
A few times I have found parasitic cestodes attached to the guts of Loligo. There is video of them here. Warning, those who are grossed out by parasites may want to have some type of recepticle nearby.
Cheers,
Lou "Squidberg" Zeidberg

Anything newbies should know?

I'm part of a group of four that are planning to come down this weekend and this is our first TONMOCON event. Is there anything we need to know, like whether pre-registration is required, etc.?

We're pretty casual, so there's not any formal pre-registration. There is an informal attempt to get contact info for attendees in a list... Carol (corw314) was handling that, but she had to bow out, so I'm not sure if Tony (tonmo) is now the official list keeper. I can't find the post right now, but I think the request was to PM them with whatever contact info you're willing to share, e.g. Name, TONMO login, cell phone, whether you're staying at the Travelodge, what days you're attending. None of it's mandatory, it's more for coordination in case we try to get a group together for meals or aquarium visits or whatever... if you just show up at the Travelodge, there's no door guard or anything.

Count four more in. We are squidgineers from the Sacramento, CA area, and we LOOOVE Monterey.

EDIT: ginabean69 speaks of the same crew of four. She beat me to posting here.

gjbarord;138013 said:
I hope you are able to come as well Dr. Wood. Perhaps some enrichment talks would be in order...

Greg

Thanks. There will be two of us coming. We just purchased a truck on Friday, registered it yesterday and got the mechanics OK today. I’m excited to meet some old friends and make some new ones.

I was planning to just hang out but am open to talking informally or formally about cephalopods. And as you know, there isn't a heck of a lot of scientific data (samples sizes, proper controls) that shows a positive effect of enrichment on the health of cephalopods. I know of only two peer reviewed papers that ran controlled experiments backed up by with some sort of stats. The good news is that both showed that enrichment matters. This is something I've not followed up on but plan to get back into, especially now that I work at a large public aquarium. Recent work, which I could present or informally chat about with short notice, is: 1) Squid ink as an alarm signal 2) Squid ink as a predation deterrent. 1 is published in JEMBE and 2 is about to be submitted.

Dr. James, that would be great. We've had a couple of last-minute cancels and arguably we've got another :30 on the agenda. I could put you at 3:45 and Dr. Zeidberg at 4:15.

ceph;138048 said:
Thanks. There will be two of us coming. We just purchased a truck on Friday, registered it yesterday and got the mechanics OK today. I’m excited to meet some old friends and make some new ones.

I was planning to just hang out but am open to talking informally or formally about cephalopods. And as you know, there isn't a heck of a lot of scientific data (samples sizes, proper controls) that shows a positive effect of enrichment on the health of cephalopods. I know of only two peer reviewed papers that ran controlled experiments backed up by with some sort of stats. The good news is that both showed that enrichment matters. This is something I've not followed up on but plan to get back into, especially now that I work at a large public aquarium. Recent work, which I could present or informally chat about with short notice, is: 1) Squid ink as an alarm signal 2) Squid ink as a predation deterrent. 1 is published in JEMBE and 2 is about to be submitted.

Right on! It will be great to finally meet you in person!

BTW, we'll be invading you for the IMAC west conference in Long beach next month. :biggrin2:

Does anyone want to make plans to rendezvous sometime on Friday earlier than the 5pm time? I'm trying to decide how early to drive over...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back