• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Hazardous Material (HazMat)

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hello all, I think this might be the place to put this.

I am cycling a tank, for about a month thus far, and, of course, picked up a Red Sea maring kit. It currently had 5 tests; Amonia, Nitrite, nitrate, Ph, and lastly Alkalinity. I am aware that pouring chemicals down the drain is dangerous in high levels and concentrations. But as I was admiring the test kit, I read the 'A' bottle for the nitrate test. It reads:
"Contains: Cadmium Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed. Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment. This material and it's container must be disposed of as hazardous waste. Avoid release to the environment. Refer to special instructions/Safety data sheets. DANGER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT

I would just like to know who among you uses Red Sea, and how you handle and dispose of this stuff.

Thanks!

Felix (El Gato!)

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
YIKES!!! :shock: I've never used this product......but yes cadmium is nasty stuff.......one of the heavy metals! Maybe contact your local city dump and ask if there is anywhere to get rid of the stuff.

J

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I believe most cities have places for citizens to bring hazardous materials and enviromentally unfriendly materials such as batteries, computers, etc.

Nancy

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I think you're talking about the municipal dumps. I'll have to check into that. Thanks! I think I am also going to check out the EPA website.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
there are often toll-free numbers and such; I think in California, the counties provide resources on this sort of thing-- in LA, there are specific drop off places that are only open once a month or something. You can also call whatever company/utility picks up your trash; our local one will pick up some sorts of exotic stuff if you let them know before trash day, but I'm not sure if it works for hazardous waste or just "not normal trash" things like washing machines and furniture and such. They could probably tell you what you can do with stuff they won't take, though, at least up to a point.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lonestar108

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak