• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hazardous Material (HazMat)

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hello all, I think this might be the place to put this.

I am cycling a tank, for about a month thus far, and, of course, picked up a Red Sea maring kit. It currently had 5 tests; Amonia, Nitrite, nitrate, Ph, and lastly Alkalinity. I am aware that pouring chemicals down the drain is dangerous in high levels and concentrations. But as I was admiring the test kit, I read the 'A' bottle for the nitrate test. It reads:
"Contains: Cadmium Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed. Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment. This material and it's container must be disposed of as hazardous waste. Avoid release to the environment. Refer to special instructions/Safety data sheets. DANGER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT

I would just like to know who among you uses Red Sea, and how you handle and dispose of this stuff.

Thanks!

Felix (El Gato!)

I believe most cities have places for citizens to bring hazardous materials and enviromentally unfriendly materials such as batteries, computers, etc.

Nancy

there are often toll-free numbers and such; I think in California, the counties provide resources on this sort of thing-- in LA, there are specific drop off places that are only open once a month or something. You can also call whatever company/utility picks up your trash; our local one will pick up some sorts of exotic stuff if you let them know before trash day, but I'm not sure if it works for hazardous waste or just "not normal trash" things like washing machines and furniture and such. They could probably tell you what you can do with stuff they won't take, though, at least up to a point.

Thanks Monty, I'll do that Monday. I am keeping the test water, and rinse water in an empty salt container. I figure I have quite some time before it needs to be taken away.

on that note you know that mixing those chemicals is even worse than letting them sit seperate because they produce piosonous gases that can kill you very quickly.

(around here, south carolina, we put that stuff in our homemade drinks called moonshine in order to slow the blinding effect of the country made rum from a galvanized drum or bath tub!)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back