Finding Nemo

Colin said:
The national drink up here these days is Buckfast Wine, made by Monks in Devon!

15% is an aquired taste and blows your brain as its full of caffeine etc etc... that'll give you the shakes the next day!!!!

http://www.buckfast.org.uk/TONIC.HTM

Wowie, where do I get some of that stuff here in the U.S. of A.? I figure as long as I'm gonna be up all night, I may as well enjoy it! Reminds me of an episode of THE DREW CAREY SHOW (Kat, you listening?) where Drew and his friends invented coffee-flavored beer.

Re the Monks: I wonder if that's the Order to which Tom Baker once belonged? That would explain a lot....

Tani
(Too Much Caffeine Lady)

tani - invented may be a poor word (or one merely limited to the show), ive drank many imperial stouts (they are a struggle to find) that flirt with the chocolate/coffee flavours...

clem - tonmo threads prove nothing except how we can corrupt any discussion... i offer 'hatemail for like minded conservationists' ending up in a discussion about favorite produce as Exhibit A.....

i said it there, and ill say it again.....

its evolution: tonmo style :smile:

then again, it might not be disney's influence :frown: - see 'octosimpsons' .. if no other scapegoat can be found im sure it can be traced back to a few bad apples :goofysca:

Though rarely indicative of a film's merit, box-office numbers do tell a tale. In the case of "Finding Nemo," they thicken an already ripe plot.

Over America's July 4th weekend, "Finding Nemo" took in $11 million dollars, to bring its domestic tally up to $274.9 million dollars. It is now 2003's top-grossing American release.

These numbers can't but give PIXAR a much stronger negotiating position as it pursues a new distribution contract (with Disney, or another studio). "Nemo" has also demonstrated that a feature film built around fish can connect with audiences on a massive scale. This won't cheer those turned off by talking critters, but it should cheer those who are working to encourage conservation and protection of non-mammalian ocean life.

Meanwhile, Dreamworks' "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas," disgraced itself, its producers and its A-list cast by finishing the holiday weekend in sixth place, with a domestic take of $10 million over a five-day period. ("Finding Nemo," in theaters since May 30, took in $11 million.) Adding insult to Dreamworks' injury, "Nemo" booted "Shrek" from the #2 spot on the list of top-grossing animated features.

"Sinbad" may force Dreamworks to reconsider its model for animated films: steal themes from Disney/PIXAR, cast A-list stars with dubious voice-over ability and move product fast. "Shrek" remains Dreamworks Animation's sole breakout hit, scant justification for maintaining a fully-staffed animation studio. Who knows? Dreamworks might soon be courting PIXAR publicly. Sotto voce, such discussions are likely taking place already.

You go, Nemo.

:roll:

Clem

Well, guess where me and the family just returned from? That's right -- Finding Nemo! So this post will contain some spoilers for those who haven't seen it!

I decided to go after hearing from people that, yeah, there were a couple of intense parts, but the kids liked it / loved it.

So, I thought I might be coming on here eating a bit of crow, saying that I was over-reacting about the movie (at least to some extent) with regard to its "negativity" for lack of a better word. As it turns out the exact opposite is true -- this movie lived up to everything I originally feared it would -- it was WAY too intense for smaller children.

Putting the kids aside for a moment, I'll say that from my own perspective the movie was OK at best, was definitely no Toy Story I or II. I liked the Ellen DeGeneres character, the short-term memory thing offered some of the best laughs in the movie.

But anyway -- was it just me, or did you notice that there was terror lurking behind almost every corner? My son left saying that he liked it, my daughter said she didn't. In any event, I could plainly see that they were both on edge (especially my son despite his claim) and a bit disturbed during the movie -- and definitely disappointed. They went in hoping to have fun and see a fun movie where they could maybe laugh and maybe see some cool stuff. Instead, it was just filled with disturbing, upsetting images and themes.

For one thing, Nemo's tank was located in a dentist's office. I'm just going to throw out some random scenes (and some weren't even scenes -- just images) to give you an idea -- if you saw the movie you'll know what I'm talking about... Patients screaming and their teeth getting yanked out, Nemo's initiation into the tank, heck, even Nemo's first experience in the tank when he was panicked and scared of all the other fish in there, the filter tube and the fan, etc. etc.

As I believe rusty mentioned earlier, the octopus depictions were disappointing...

And Kat, if you're reading this (maybe you got to see it on your visit back to :usa:?), there was definitely a joke at the end that you'll appreciate...

Anyhow, there were so many harrowing scenes that I can't count them -- few examples, going through the sewer, the shark abduction and later the chase, the jellyfish, the "mine" birds (seagulls) chase with the pelican, the dentist office scene that ensued, the absolutely horrifying (for young kids) angler fish scene, the scuba divers and the swim after the boat, the whale ingestion, etc. etc. etc.

And many of those scenes above had several "sub-moments" or fright and/or intensity that visibly shook my kids.

Despite all this, I don't regret going to see it -- on the plus side I think it's always good to give the kids a frame of reference with regard to sea creatures.

Oh, and the opening scene that I went on so much about (where the mother and children are attacked) went off without too much trouble -- but my kids had been warned a couple of times that it was a scene they should expect. Seems that helped a bit for that one.

In closing, I myself definitely do not recommend it for children under, say, 6 or even 7 (unfortunately the humor that is in the movie mostly gets lost on children that young)...

Actually, I don't really recommend it for anyone over 6 or 7 either, but for other reasons -- it's really not that great of a movie in my opinion. A bit disappointing, and a little annoying, and somewhat predictable. Ellen's character was pretty much my favorite -- pleasant, optimistic and funny.

Bruce the shark was pretty cool with regard to its size, and rows of teeth -- I'm pretty sure I've never seen a shark illustrated that way -- so that was fun to watch.

Also, the friends in Nemo's tank turned out to be a fun and interesting bunch of characters themselves.

The turtle was an annoying stoner that I could have done without. The school teacher was pretty amusing; I liked his song.

I flatly didn't like how Nemo told his dad that he "hated" him; that's a concept that is (should be?) a complex one for G-audiences. Kids understand mad, sad, glad, etc., but hate is something different. I guess a good benchmark here would be Sesame Street -- they (rightfully) address the basic emotions, but I don't believe I've seen them talk about hate (unless perhaps it was one of those "experimental" shows, the ones that have dealt with things like hurricanes, death, divorce, and HIV (in Africa)).

Pixar makes great visuals as usual...

So overall I give the movie a rating of 4 arms out of 8. That, and the suggestion that the powers that be in the industry introduce a new G7 rating (for children 7 and up).

:popcorn:

tonmo said:
Ellen's character was pretty much my favorite -- pleasant, optimistic and funny.

But also needy, exasperating and clingy. Taken together with the qualities you listed, they add up to a fully-realized performance and character. Along those lines, I'd argue that the menace and terror of "Nemo" made the film's overall decency and good humor more affecting.

The turtle was an annoying stoner that I could have done without.

(cough) What do you mean?

I flatly didn't like how Nemo told his dad that he "hated" him; that's a concept that is (should be?) a complex one for G-audiences. Kids understand mad, sad, glad, etc., but hate is something different.

Perhaps, but "I hate you" is a fairly common weapon-of-last-resort for children whose parents just don't get it (or just won't give in). I suspect that children who see "Nemo" likely approve of its emotional honesty.

The lack of good cephs in the film is grating, though.

:|

Clem

But also needy, exasperating and clingy.
Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that the only reason I liked the character was because she was all "good" (but I guess I did suggest that). Well, her exasperating traits were almost always the source of humor, which was pretty much the only relief available during certain scenes -- but again, with humor that probably didn't register with most kids.

I personally didn't sense an "overall decency and good humor" in the movie -- I know the intent was there, but the inundation of 2-bit thrills and shocks pretty much drowned out any touching tale that was meant to be found.

(cough) What do you mean?
heh -- I know that was rhetorical, but I'd like to address that it was pretty much a rip-off of Keanu Reeves from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure -- a really hammed up stoner. Just kinda annoying and a little embarrassing with regard to the overkill.

Perhaps, but "I hate you" is a fairly common weapon-of-last-resort for children whose parents just don't get it (or just won't give in).
*shudder* :goofysca: wake me when it's over... :mrgreen:

The lack of good cephs in the film is grating, though.
The worst offense to cephs was when the school of fish did the impression of the octopus, and "Ellen" (can't remember character's name) said, "Clam?" and the school (Cliff Claven) said, "close enough!"
:thumbsdo:

tonmo said:
heh -- I know that was rhetorical, but I'd like to address that it was pretty much a rip-off of Keanu Reeves from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure -- a really hammed up stoner. Just kinda annoying and a little embarrassing with regard to the overkill.

Actually, I believe the turtle doing the "Valley Boy" bit was an in-joke referring to something more relevant to its species -- i.e., Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the kiddie craze that immediately preceded Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers). In case anyone remembers, at least three of the four Heroes in a Half Shell sounded like clones of Sean Penn in FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH ("Yo, pizza dude!").

Which reminds me of a great moment several years ago at the Coney Island Aquarium, when our squidling was a pre-kindergartener. Seems we were looking at a turtle exhibit and he piped up something about "Raphael, Leonardo, Donatello, and Michaelangelo". An elderly couple behind us gasped with awe and asked how such a little boy knew about all those Renaissance artists. Imagine what a come-down it was when my husband and I had to explain that our "prodigy" was referring to four pizza-loving cartoon amphibians.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:jester:

Ha -- interesting observation T... I wonder if it was an in-joke, or just more recycled ideas? After all, if you were to pin a character mold on a turtle, "stoner" might be the first one you choose.

Speaking of recycled ideas... I guess Nemo deserves several bonus points for being a story that wasn't a sequel or a remake of any kind... :roll: I saw some crazy statistic out there somewhere with regard to the number of major new movies coming out this year that are either sequels or remakes. Hmmm... what does that say about us? :?:

We're ready for a major movie about a ceph, I can tell you that, and not one of dubious quality a la Octopus and Octopus 2: River of Fear.

I was at a clients house last week, and they had a saltwater tank...because of "Nemo"...knew that was going to happen, didn't we??? They were totally interested in octos though, and I spent some time talking to them...the tank was in good shape, and the family was obviously enthusiastic about learning more...so, it was a good thing!
Greg

TaningiaDanae said:
Apparently this "missing-arms" stuff is endemic to the entertainment and toy industries. "Wiggly", the orange Beanie Baby Squid, has a similar handicap (eight arms, no feeding tentacles). And we won't even talk about SPONGEBOB's nemesis Squidward, who -- with six arms, a bad attitude, and no musical talent -- was clearly designed for the defamation of the entire Class Cephalopoda.

just look what i found in charleston.... i didnt realize they still made these (ive always liked em) but unfortunately it has only six arms and two tentacles.....

Looks cute when it's small, anyway. Exactly how big does the thing grow? (I have this image of the goldfish in THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO that grew into the Loch Ness Monster when removed from water.)

Anyway, it couldn't possibly be as disappointing as those "Sea Monkeys" that every little kid gets suckered into buying at least once. You see the ad with this charming family of pink monkeys with crowns on their heads and big smiles, which are supposed to build sand castles, do tricks, etc., and you end up with just a bunch of nearly invisible, boring, stinky BRINE SHRIMP!

Makes me wonder about whoever made up that horrible urban legend about the lobster and the brine shrimp (not for the squeamish; PM me if you're an adult with a strong stomach and would like the reference) -- perhaps s/he was traumatized by a similarly disappointing experience with Sea Monkeys and wanted to exact revenge on the entire species....

:yuck:
Me

TaningiaDanae said:
Looks cute when it's small, anyway. Exactly how big does the thing grow?

it should be at its largest now (48hrs in water) and its a whole 9in.... it filled out well but i feel rooked, the package says grows up to 22in..... of course i didnt buy it, and it was only 2$...plus it can shrink and regrow so im not going to complain....

TaningiaDanae said:
Apparently this "missing-arms" stuff is endemic to the entertainment and toy industries. "Wiggly", the orange Beanie Baby Squid, has a similar handicap (eight arms, no feeding tentacles).

Wiggly is an octopus, it just says "squid" in his poem.
Trust me on this, I collect ceph stuffed animals (I know, its sad)

-Oz

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back