New Member, from California!

KylenJohnson

Hatchling
Registered
Vallejo, California, United States of America
Hello!

My name is Kylen. I’m 24, and looking to begin postgraduate learning next year. I used to be a volunteer at Monterey Bay Aquarium, and currently I am an aquarist at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom— on the Shark Team!

I am particularly interested in exploring the possibilities of “model” cephalopod species, and establishing generations. Further beyond that, I seek to determine if there is such a possibility of generational learning that can be achieved through either direct parental, or foster parent (natural or human-driven) teaching.

I read a few articles detailing a researcher named Brett Grasse has achieved up to 3 generations— as of 2022– with the Pygmy Zebra Octopus (Octopus chierchiae). Unfortunately I have been unable to reach him to learn more, but it is with his team’s achievements that I keep my dreams in the realm of evidence-backed possibility.

Big thanks to Sidney Stetson of Oregon State University, as she is the reason I learned this community existed! I am excited to be here and read all of your stories and findings!

Thanks for joining TONMO! Brett (@Bret Grasse MBL) is a TONMO member and will occasionally reply to a summon such as this, but he's also a super busy guy, so no promises :smile:

Richard Ross (@Thales) is also a member (staff, in fact!) but the same caveat applies. Do check out his article, here:

And do use our Search function for more about the LPSO... thanks for joining our community!

Thanks for joining TONMO! Brett (@Bret Grasse MBL) is a TONMO member and will occasionally reply to a summon such as this, but he's also a super busy guy, so no promises :smile:

Richard Ross (@Thales) is also a member (staff, in fact!) but the same caveat applies. Do check out his article, here:

And do use our Search function for more about the LPSO... thanks for joining our community!
Thank you kindly! I’ll dive into this as soon as I can.

I'm not sure exactly what postgraduate learning you mean. Do you want to do a phD program or a masters?

MBL just started a phD program this year. Here is the website: MBL/UChicago PhD Graduate Program | Marine Biological Laboratory

The author of the chierchiae culture paper is a TONMO user! Her user ID is @agrearson if you want to reach out with questions about the animal
Good morning, and thank you!

My initial greeting is vague because I’m unsure exactly! I’ve looked into both Masters and phD programs (though it seems more likely for me to be in masters). Thank you for the resources!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back