Brand new Octo lover - Maine

Jesse

Hatchling
Registered
Hey, all!

So much to say! I’m 38 and live in the state of Maine. I’m VERY new to the idea of an Octo as a pet. I have zero experience with saltwater pets, but I am here to put in the time to learn, even if it takes years. I’ve been an outdoor/animal lover my whole life. I would say I have a good knowledge of wildlife and fish, as freshwater fishing has been my lifelong passion. We have been hedgehog owners for several years, so I’m used to learning the needs, wants, and quirks of an exotic pet.

Why do I want an octopus? Don’t laugh! I’ve recently watched My Octopus Teacher on Netflix and it has completely changed my life. To see that an Octopus is capable of the things they are, playing with fish, showing interest in a person. Possibly even showing affection toward a person. I think this could possibly the greatest feeling in the world. And I truly believe I could give an Octo as good of a life as it would have in the wild. I can honestly say I would love to create that bond just as much for Her benefit as for mine. I can’t swim, so I doubt I’ll ever be able to go into the ocean and experience this interaction, but I think I can give a great life to a pet in my home.

Soooo…..you’ll be seeing a lot of me here. I’ll be reading and reading and I’m sure I’ll have questions. My plan is to have my first Octo within 5 years. Very glad to have found this forum. Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this(if anyone has…lol).

:welcome: @Jesse! My Octopus Teacher is a great documentary. Here's a thread about it when it came out.

Glad you've joined us, and great to hear you'll be patient - it takes care and patience for sure! I've never done kept one myself, but we have a lot of folks here with experience who can help -- and certainly we have TONS of threads to learn from. Enjoy, and thanks for signing up!

:welcome: @Jesse! My Octopus Teacher is a great documentary. Here's a thread about it when it came out.

Glad you've joined us, and great to hear you'll be patient - it takes care and patience for sure! I've never done kept one myself, but we have a lot of folks here with experience who can help -- and certainly we have TONS of threads to learn from. Enjoy, and thanks for signing up!
Thank you! I really appreciate it! I get a lot of time off from work so I hope to be knowledgeable on cephalopods in no time!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back