[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

My husband is larger by maybe 5-6 inches taller and larger frame. I am usually up on a step ladder when in the tank also so might just be my face/shape is more familiar to her. I have had great interaction with family members watching although at a distance, several feet from the tank. She seems to get a little nervious when there is a crowd with their noses right up close to the tank.

I had a very fun water change this afternoon. Diablo was out as usual stealing my cleaning impliments. It is difficult to see inside this tank it is deep and I am on a step ladder. I was trying to avoid her as much as I could but she was following and grabbing my hand. It would sort of freak me out as I was not expecting it. I had removed 10 gallons and was cleaning the glass (easier with less water) Diablo would come up to my hand from underneath and bump me with her eyes. I petted her then she'd move away then right back to bump me with her eyes. (actually the space between them) That is her favorite place to be touched. The she moved towards the back and was looking at me with her eyes above the water. Can they see out of the water? I grabbed my camera and took a couple pictures. She is so friendly, this octopus is amazing. :biggrin2:

I was expecting to get the water cannon but she behaved herself.
DSCN0679.jpg

DSCN0686.jpg

DSCN0685.jpg

That's so cool!!! She popped out to check you out! Yes Curla used to bump we with her eyes as well. So are Vugaris diurnal? What size tank is she in?

You will see vulgaris listed as nocturnal, crepuscular and "seen out hunting" during the day. The name is more of a species complex than a species and the differing times may be different species that are not yet defined/identified or just a matter of their environment. They are definitely not strictly nocturnal like the mercatoris and the two macropuses I have kept (two other macropus keeper could interact during the day but neither of mine could be found much before 3:00 AM).

I continue to enjoy the vicarious keepership but don't know what I would do about a larger tank. Probably get around to redoing the 145ish reef as an octo tank.

kpage;157238 said:
That's so cool!!! She popped out to check you out! Yes Curla used to bump we with her eyes as well. So are Vugaris diurnal? What size tank is she in?

I could have swore I answered this, my post dissapeared??
Anyway...Is she diurnal? Cannot really answer but she is usually out around 3:00 pm each day, spends much of the afternoon/evening observing and or trying to get my attention. If you followed my thread you'd see I have a problem with this one, she is in a 50 gallon. (she is fast outgrowing I should day outgrown) I am currently setting up a 120 for her. I have a thread in tank talk. Currently plumbing it. Gotta hurry, should be getting it wet soon !

I had just finished cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. Diablo was watching from her den. I took a chunk of shrimp out getting ready to feed her. I opened the top of the tank as I always do when getting ready to feed her. I went in the living and proceeded to jump online for a few minutes while it thawed. About now I am sure you are wondering what happened, well she didn't escape she is fine. I on the other hand am not very happy. I walked back into a very wet kitchen. She must have swam to the surface and turned on the water canon. It looked as if a wave broke over the front of my tank. Naughty little girl :gigas: If it weren't an octopus I'd think she was angry waiting for her food. You see she watches me go into the freezer and remove it put it in the strainer and run waer on it every day. I did take a little longer today. Could this be the case? Keep the tank covered is a good rule to live by.

After losing one after an open lid incident, I think you are very, very lucky that she finds squirting water a good form of rebellion. I always try to look at working with octopuses as a two way street learning process and I often think I am retarded.

I think that seeing the cues are the "trick" of the "whispers". I feel so inadequate when my dog comes to me and very obviously wants something and I can't tell from her actions what it is. It is obvious she is trying to communicate and is clever enough to come up and intentionally and continuously bump my mouse arm to get my attention. She knows that will change my attention from the computer to her. If she can figure that out, why can't I figure out what she wants? Octopuses are far more difficult as it is hard to discretely identify that the octo is trying to get your attention (Penny/Copper and el Diablo my be exceptions :sagrin:)

Diablo was out this evening. My son called me becase she was aiming her water cannon at the top corrner of the aquarium. I took out the shrimp to defrost. I opened the top of the aquarium, she didn't come over right away. Suddenly my son noticed she was at the open top, with an arm out. I jumped up on my step ladder to try to get her back in, she grabbed me. Thankfully I thought to grab a towel. Her suckers are so strong, couldn't get them off the smoothe cover. The suddenly she was completely out, cannon a blazing. The towel caught most of it. We were all screaming. That really made me nervious. I gently coaxed her back in, pop, pop, pop went her suction cups, very strange sound. Screwed down her lid until the shrimp was ready, she must have been really hungry. Funny because I fed her early this morning. She is a growing girl.
D, you're right, this one dose not whisper, she shouts!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back