[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

She didn't attack, (Dave, she's the nice twin:wink: ) I really think she was looking for food. I fed her then she calmed down. After she ate, she was gentle as a lamb. I was able to pet her mantle and between her eyes. My nephew was over and I think he was totally engrosed and amazed. :shock:

I picked up a blue crab for Diablo this evening at Hmart. She was right on it as soon as it hit the water. She took her sweet time and devoured it completely. I swear she looked larger when she got finished with her huge meal. The crabs must have just come in because they were never so lively. I really need to do a water change, these crabs are awefully messy, this was the worst one yet.

The blue crab being as messy as it was gave me an ammonia spike. I did a 30 gallon water change and got it down to .25 I was uncomfortable leaving her in there so I transfered her to the 120. The entire process took about 3 minutes. I used a gallon milk container. You will be able to see for yourself just how large she has grown. I bated the container with a 1/2 shrimp. She went in with no coaxing. I just scouped her up, took 2 quick photos, while trying to keep her in the jug. My son took a quick photo as I held it over the 120, right after it was taken, she literally jumped out. He took a video just after. (excuse him, he is not familiar with my camera) I created a central cave for her, she dissapeared inside. I am seeing arms here and there as she explores her new tank.
I am going to be watching everything very closley now.

DSCN0779.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

LOL, He figured out how to put it ON video, more than I could do with my sister-in-law's camera. It looks like you have a miniature tank inside the large tank. It took me a minute to realize it was a reflection from another tank across the room :smile:

It will be interesting to see if she still tries to get out of her new home. The only animal (knock on wood) I have had that tried to escape was Octane and only after his first floor (and wall) walk did I actually measure the tank and calculate the water volume. We bought a 45 gallon tank (on-line) but when I measured it (several years later), discovered we had received a 35 gallon tank :oops:. We ended up with two (only paying for one) and they have been converted to great sumps so all's well that ends well but I always felt his escape attempts had to do with the tank size. We were cycling a new tank for him when he died but he had started to show senescent behavior and I was debating on the effects of the upcoming switch when he made his fatal escape.

Wow, Diablo has only made escape attempts when I have taken off the cover to feed her and I have been right there. She was almost too big for the gallon jug and could not wait to get out. You can see in the photos she is partially out of the water, had to keep putting her arms back in. Too bad you could not see her mantle, looks close to 5 inches now. I have not seen her out at all, only arms earlier. This is very unusual but considering her rough day understandable. I am just happy to see this day come to an end, was rough for me too.
I saw the little tank inside the big one too. We will need to remember and turn off the lights on it for future photos.

Have not seen much of Diablo today. She was out briefly and I got a fow photos. It was nice to see her swim more than a few inches. All seems well. I tested the water today and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate all still 0. I have not fed her, will if she emerges later on. I am keeping my:fingerscrossed:.

DSCN0783.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0786.jpg

The cool rock I found that is the entrance for her new den, actually there are several entrances for her to use, she prefers the back door.

DSCN0787.jpg

She has been out quite a bit this evening. Aside from being a bit shyer than usual she seems fine. I attribute this to stress from the move. I fed her nothing interesting to report. I did see her hunting a peppermint shrimp but it was too fast for her. I continue to test the water, all seems fine.

I am on vacaton, we took a drive to visit my parents in Florida. Diablo remains in the care of my son. I left Saturday, so far 3 days and all is well. My son was not fast enough yesterday with the feeding technique I showed him, open cover drop and lock. She grabbed a hold of him and came most of the way out of the tank. She got him and my living room w/her cannon. Since she seemed so eager I instructed him to increase feeding to 2x daily.
My brother stopped by yesterday and checked things out. (Diablo was checking out my brother too) I am happy to report no ammonia and he added PH buffer. I so anxious to return home to her yet I want to enjoy myself with my family. I am tying to relax but it isn't easy. I just keep my fingers crossed. I am sure I am not the only one who stresses about leaving.
The best part of my trip is yet to come...Friday I will have the honor and pleasure of visiting Dwhatley. I am hoping but not counting on maybe seeing an inklet. (I know the chance is slim) :biggrin2:

LOL, we can always check the sump sock :biggrin2: but between the sponges and the light, I think the overflow is no longer a great adventure. The one I am going to call SittingBull (It could actually be SittingBull, Late4Dinner or WallWalker) has been visible for 2 minutes (give or take) at around 11:00 PM for the last two nights and I know where he goes but can't coax him out from the crack between the overflow box and the tank (similar to where Cassy used to - and may still - hide). I've been able to feed him once but he declined the shrimp leg I offerred last night. ... and No, you are not alone in wanting to have fun on vacation but not being able to worry about the octopus. It was at least as bad when I kept seahorses (who have to be fed daily).

Since we are doing without air conditioning this summer, a water cannon sounds very good about now :smile:

dwhatley;158959 said:
Since we are doing without air conditioning this summer, a water cannon sounds very good about now :smile:

NO AIR CONDITIONING?? My heart goes out to you. I am melting here. Hope you have plenty of fans :wink:
We had a full day, even made a visit to the beach, the water is almost too warm.
My son called to update me on Diablo, seems he is making a new friend. I think he is enjoying Diablo's antics. She would not take her eyes off him and followed him. He'd hide and she'd stretch out to see him. I would never have guessed he would actually be spending time with her. I stopped in a sponge/shell store in Tarpon Springs, looking for a loofa. I picked up a large shell for Diablo. My husband asked if they ever catch octopuses. We got a lesson in octopus fishing. Not exactly what were wanted to learn but... He said I was the first one he ever met who kept them as pets. He gave me another shell for Diablo, that was nice. He told us we should really try eating octopus sometime because they are very tasty. (never in a million years even if I was starving to death...well maybe if I was near death)I love meeting new characters and he was very interesting. Fun day! :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back