[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

OOOOOOOO you're finished with your new tank! Awesome, man I haven't been on in a while... Great photos, especially the ones in the jug. So what are you going to do with the old tank?

kpage;159027 said:
OOOOOOOO you're finished with your new tank! Awesome, man I haven't been on in a while... Great photos, especially the ones in the jug. So what are you going to do with the old tank?

Old tank now houses a pair of clowns, 1 blenny and 1 goby. Maybe some day it will house an octopus again, I hope.
i am still waiting for you to stop by and meet her. :biggrin2:

It is good to be back home. Our trip was highlighted by a visit with Tonmo's Dwhatley, I was even able to get a good look at Cassy, one of her inklets, thrilling! we braved her driveway on foot, wow, now that was something to see.
Diablo came right out to greet me. :biggrin2: I missed her. I gave her the shells I bought her in Florida, she felt them a bit then discarded them behind the rocks. Maybe she was expecting food. :hmm: Her tank had a bit of algea on the glass but otherwise in great shape. I snapped a photo, she is looking enormous.

DSCN0918.jpg

Maybe Cuttles?

i am still waiting for you to stop by and meet her.

errrrrg I know I'm so sorry, I've been crazy busy. I'm working at the Shedd now and I'm just about to start a PADI rescue diver course.
Once I find some free time I'll give you a call. :smile:

kpage;159448 said:
Maybe Cuttles?

errrrrg I know I'm so sorry, I've been crazy busy. I'm working at the Shedd now and I'm just about to start a PADI rescue diver course.
Once I find some free time I'll give you a call. :smile:

Crazy busy here too but not nearly as exciting, I want your life :wink:

I just returned home after another week away. Diablo is doing well thanks to my son and daughter who have been caring for her. I need to clean the tank then maybe I can get a good photo of her up to show how she has grown. Cleaning is challenging these days, mostly just takes 2x as long because she grabs everything from me. It is certainly entertaining!

I don't know if she is nosey or wants attention but she always want to be the center of attention. I had a heck of a time cleaning her tank. She needs to inspect everything that enters her tank. l'd clean a little then she'd grab on to my cleaning scraper, she hangs right where I am working. I moved to the other side, she'd follow. I worried that I would injur her with my scraper. Same with the sponge. My in-laws stopped by and were very entertained. I think they feel I am a little crazy keeping what they call a sea monster in my home. :lol: I am working on a photo but I can't find my charger, always something. My male kitten, who has a thinig for Diablo (wants to eat him) jumped up on the aquarium during cleaning, cover was off. His one paw went in the water, don't know who was more shocked, Diablo, me or Maverick. Was a mess to say the say the least. It is funny how they know...when Maverick is in view, Diablo reacts but Peanut (my female kitten) is right next to the glass Diablo pays no attention. Does Diablo detect the cats intention? I am thinking so, Maverick is in hunt mode when he spys Diablo, Peanut pays no attention. My dog could care less, never even approaches the tank. It feels so good to be home.:smile:

I went out and got myself a new charger for the camera, finally I can take some photos of Diablo. I fed her once than tooks some photos. I was about to feed her the second time when she decided she wanted to explore my world. She was 1/2 way out before I could run for a towel. Mark held his hand over her to protect my living room. St least I didn't get it in the face tonight. She was determined and I had a very difficult time getting her back in. It was an OH MY GOD moment :bugout:
Here are a few shots I managed to get.

DSCN0929-1.jpg

DSCN0935.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

A couple full tank shots
DSCN0941.jpg

DSCN0957.jpg

Here is what she started doing while my son was caring for her, he liked to put his fingers in. He was able to play with her and yet be safe from her beak, now she does this regularly, I think she is looking for attention.
DSCN0961.jpg

So, she is putting her arms through the overflow wall and your son would play tickle me no the other side? Cute! What an angelic look in the first photo :sagrin:

She is so special. I love having the flip side of two personalities to watch at the same time. Between el Diablo and Penny (different species though) I never know what mischief to expect.

It might be good to let her have a "controlled excursion" out of the tank, with you holding her or giving her a wet arm to hold onto.
We did that with Ollie, my former bimac, who really just wanted to sit on top of the tank with the lid off and feel around, including touching us. Also, if you have the book that Colin and I wrote, look for photos of Mr. Octopus, another bimac who also made excursions.

The point is, after coming out in a controlled way, she seemed much more satisified to stay in the tank.

Nancy

a controled excursion would be enjoyable for us both. On second thought, for one of us. I would have a major mess to clean up. She shoots her water cannon when she is out of the water. We'll see how it goes, I have to think about this.

Some photos

Diablo is carrying the third leg curled most of the time. Maybe I am seeing things but what do the enlarged suckers of a male look like and where are they found on the arms? :hmm:
Here are a few photos of Diablo's underside.

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0967.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

Playing with food
DSCN0974.jpg

DSCN0975.jpg

On the rocks
DSCN0973.jpg

I think you are asking rhetorical questions :biggrin2: and I would totally agree with you suspected sex determination for both the enlarged suckers and the curled arm tip. Suckers can appear larger when on the glass but these are strongly suggestive of being larger even without being pressed harger to the glass. Luck is staying on your side! I have a high preference for males because of the extra time with them and they seem to be more human interactive as a general rule (at least in my experience with most Caribbean's. Both my macropuses were very human friendly and I had one of each).

You were right again in your other guess :wink:. Photo soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back