Cuttlefish tank cycling.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I would attempt to remove them before they multiply. If you can Move the rock to a temporary setup work on it, all the better.

I can't seem to get the little monsters off. Theyre so small and they just suck into the rock only to reappear later. I've still got a good 40 days or so till I'm ready for cuttles. Maybe some peppermint shrimp might help?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
You will not be able to scrape them off and if you mash them trying you will just spread them (think poison ivy :biggrin2:) . There are a number of methods and I can't say which is best. Injection with lemon juice or boiling water, very low salinity soak(will kill the live rock bacteria), Joe's Juice (I have had success with this one but it required multiple coating), some fish (can't recall - thinking butterfly but adding any fish is an issue), sometime peppermint shrimp work well but, supposedly, only certain kinds. IME, they will eat the small one and keep the population from spreading but don't eat the larger ones. In general, peppermint shrimp would be worth a try but be aware that if you get eggs they may try to attack the eggs or hatchlings even when they are in a net (I saw this with baby octos).

haggs

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
When I had an outbreak years ago, this was what I did. I had a large container of VERY hot fresh water sitting above the tank and a small air hose which siphons the hot water into and onto the area where the Aptasia is located, keep the hose as close as possible to where the pest is. It will "burn" the immediate area (mine turned a reddish colour) but it will also burn off the Aptasia.

I'm going to give the peppermint shrimp a try, as they seem pretty safe, and I can remove them or put them in the sump if need be. I actually went to the LFS to see if they had any, but won't be getting them until probably Wednesday.

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Yay! Peps are fun to watch. Mine found they can crawl under the return flow pipe and get into my overflow on the first night home. Be careful lol

So, no peppermints available at the shop yet, but they're supposedly working on getting some more in. Tank seems to be doing well, and I will officially be at the 90 day mark on August 4th. There are many, many amphipods in the tank. Like. A lot. Probably because nothing is in there to eat them. I seem to be past the red slime explosion, but now have quite a lot of green hair algae.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Removing what you can and doubling your water changes should help with the hair algae (small crabs are good too).

Did a big water change yesterday, and added 5 astrea snails and 2 emerald crabs. All accounted for this morning. Removed what I could by hand.

I have been doing 30-40 % changes every two weeks, but it is becoming cost-prohibitive to buy my salt water. I am working on repairing my old RO system, I think it basically just needs a new membrane.