• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish ink and beak

Sorry for the misinformation... From what I have read, from two or three articles, is that the pair is only introduced once to mate, then removed to prevent fighting.. So o guess they were incorrect... So now I guess it will be easy for me to breed my own dwarves

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Sepia Bandensis;190462 said:
Sorry for the misinformation... From what I have read, from two or three articles, is that the pair is only introduced once to mate, then removed to prevent fighting.. So o guess they were incorrect... So now I guess it will be easy for me to breed my own dwarves

Was that specifically about S. bandensis? Do you have links to those articles? Thanks!

squishy1

Blue Ring
Registered
How would you go about cleaning the breeder nets the eggs/baby cuttles are in? The only way I've found to really clean the nets is by taking them out and taking the hose to it at high pressure, even then it can take a few rinses before I get all of the gunk off the net. I may have the issue of them clogging quicker and heavier due to the lack of a protein skimmer on my system. As much as I'd love to drop the money on a protein skimmer, at this point in time I think a generator is a much much smarter investment. The power outage we had last year cost me 3 breeding pairs of fish and all of my zooplankton cultures.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Sepia Bandensis;190468 said:
Yes it was about sepia Bandensis... Don't have the link... It was something that I read and I remembered it

If you can figure out where it was I would be interested in reading it. Thanks.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
squishy1;190466 said:
How would you go about cleaning the breeder nets the eggs/baby cuttles are in? The only way I've found to really clean the nets is by taking them out and taking the hose to it at high pressure, even then it can take a few rinses before I get all of the gunk off the net. I may have the issue of them clogging quicker and heavier due to the lack of a protein skimmer on my system. As much as I'd love to drop the money on a protein skimmer, at this point in time I think a generator is a much much smarter investment. The power outage we had last year cost me 3 breeding pairs of fish and all of my zooplankton cultures.

My nets never got all that gunky - even after a few months. If you keep them out of the light, or cover them, it will help. I don't think that a skimmer is something that you should bypass of a ceph tank.

I really think you should invest in a protein skimmer. You have so many babies, in such a small tank, a skimmer removes things that a regular filter cannot.

squishy1

Blue Ring
Registered
Water changes also remove those things. I also have a lot of macro algae and a few mangroves to help keep the nutrient level down. But weekly water changes on such a small tank aren't a big deal. They'll be in a much larger tank in a month with all the proper equipment. With rolling blackout season quickly approaching the generator appears to be the much smarter choice for long term survival of these guys. You can't really run a protein skimmer without power, and we seem to lose power here at least once a year. I have 9 tanks currently running.

On a side note, some of the babies ate their first ghost shrimp yesterday (very small ones). One of them even managed to take down a cherry shrimp twice his size. But for some reason I can't get them to eat any crabs. I was able to locate some really small ones at the beach, but the cuttles show no interest in them.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
A skimmer isn't only for export, it also is great at oxygenating the water, and in the mid run is much cheaper than water changes. You don't need an expensive skimmer either, they all are with about 8 percent of the same 'efficacy'. That said, please don't think I am telling you what to do...there are a million ways to skin a reef.