Ceph stuff on eBay

Q: What do you get when you cross Stewie Griffin with a copepod and then stuff the result with plastic beans?

A: http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...d=m37&satitle=plankton+beanie+baby&category0=

(Or, if you don't want to wait for mail delivery, go to your local Rite Aid and pick one up for U.S. $6.95 like I did -- sounds more expensive than on eBay, but avoiding the shipping fee evens the whole thing out.)

A "Plankton" beenie baby? I guess that's a good thing as it means the word may be entering into the general knowledge category (or they just ran out of ideas after repeating their prior animals ;>)

Quite true -- Sheldon J. Plankton is the archetypal diminutive villain bent on world domination, in the grand old tradition of Miguelito Loveless (in the original WILD WILD WEST series), The Brain (in PINKY AND THE BRAIN), and more recently Stewie Griffin (in FAMILY GUY).

This character did indeed introduce the word "plankton" into common kid parlance, but only a small percentage of those kids are aware of the fact that real-life plankton actually comprises numerous microscopic and nearly-microscopic species.... and the cartoon villain Plankton just happens to be a copepod.

I have no idea if a cabal of corrupt copepods is really cooking up a conspiracy to take over the world, but it should be pointed out that Plankton's physical characteristics -- while broadly caricatured by SPONGEBOB's artists -- are in their own way a perfect representation of what a copepod would look like if it walked, talked, ran a greasy-spoon seafood restaurant, and was happily married to a computer named Karen.

Cheers,
Tani

Hmmmmmm I remember reading somewhere that some mathematician (somewhere :biggrin2: ) had calculated that if you count up all living individuals on earth EXCEPT copepods there would be more copepods (how or why anyone would do this is beyond me.....) but looks like they may be considering world domination MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA well once they get a wee bit BIGGER! :twisted:

Like the Zwergpiraten (dwarf pirates) from Walter Moers' die 13 1/2 Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär...

'The dwarf pirates were the rulers of the Zamonian Ocean. But no one knew this because they were so small that no one noticed them. No wave was too high for the dwarf pirates, no storm so violent and no wind high enough to deter them. They were the boldest of all seafarers and constantly looked for challenges to their nautical competence, especially in the rage and fury of storms and other natural hazards.

They alone, because of their unusual seamen's abilities, were able to survive the awesome maelstroms.

And so it came to pass one day, that they found themselves in great danger because of their adventure-lust and stubbornness. While studying the water's surface for wave-tunnels and currents, their lookout, high up the mast in the bosun's chair, noticed my ship just as I was about to disappear into a maelstrom. I was doubly lucky, for normal sized seamen probably had not seen me. They took me on board, wrapped me in an oilskin and tied me firmly to the main mast. At the time, this seemed strange to me, but it served my safety quite well.
They skittered up and down the masts like squirrels. They let out and then furled the sails with such speed that I became dizzy just watching them. They all threw themselves larboard as one man in order to counter-balance a huge dip into the waves, then just as quickly, to the starboard, and then forward and aft as well. They pumped water furiously, disappeared into the bowels of the ship to re-appear carrying buckets of water while jumping back and forth through hatches. They were in constant motion, swinging on the helm, screaming instructions to each other and hanging together on a huge sail in order to unfurl it more quickly - all the while, not missing a note as they continued singing their pirate songs. I can still remember that one of them nonchalantly scrubbed the decks during the tempest.

The sea flooded over the gunnels, capsizing the ship first to the larboard and then to the starboard, but the ship did not sink. For the first time in my life, I drank seawater and, to my surprise, it did not taste bad at all. We slid perilously through wave-tunnels, rode on powerful crests, were thrown high into the air and them forced deep under the surface. The pirate ship was tossed to and fro, slammed powerfully from all sides by the relentless waves, pushed and spit upon, but the dwarf pirates did not back down an inch! They screamed at the ocean, spit back with a vengeance and stabbed at the waves with their cargo hooks.'

(Found translated here)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back