• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Bali brown or Bali zebra?

LiquidFunk

Blue Ring
Registered
Can anyone guess what these two species might be? As usual the supplier only has these common names, not scientific.

Any thoughts would be great.

The bali zebra could be a wonderpus which it is not recommended to get because they are about the same as mimic oct's which it is also hard to tell them apart. There is not much known about them and it is not know how many are in the wild. Plus it will probably have a short life span being a small tropical species.

the bali brown octopus could simply be any octopus local in the area of the collecter. I would say its a risk, you never now what octopus your getting either could be miss identifyed and you could be sent a random octopus.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Even the experts have had little luck keeping these guys alive. It seems like such a total waste of a beautiful animal. I'd hold out for a bimac!

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Zebra - often referred/mixed-up with as the wonderpus/mimic by LFS importers. Frankly, I'd be worried about any tropical Indonesian octopus. Stick with something from a little closer to American waters, preferably home-cultured, and you're more likely to have a happy, longer-lived octo. Especially after reading Roy Caldwell's thoughts on this - and he should know - I'd stick with bimacs. Cephs rarely travel well, and even more rarely from the Developing World.

LiquidFunk

Blue Ring
Registered
well Ive waited for months trying to get my hands on a bimac without any luck so I did order the brown. Two of them actually since I have a customer that wants one.

They also said they have a cuttle, so that will be arriving as well, not sure what kind it is either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaneMom6800

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak