• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Arctic octopus

lotus101

O. vulgaris
Registered
I was just watching a show on the discovery channel on the intellegence of octopus's and was just wondering whether anyone had any experiences with the arctic octopus. The reason I ask is because they are the longest living octo's (six years) and are really small (I think I heard they're golfball size).
I'm not planning on getting one because they probably need water near freezing, but I was just curious.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi,

I don't know of anyone with Arctic octo experience, but from what I've read, the colder the water, the longer the octo lifespan.

I believe that Jean works with cold-water species in New Zealand.

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
The most stuff online about arctic octos is by James Woods, he studied the arctic octo Bathypolypus articus for his PhD

http://www.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/barctic.html

Also, the only native species in Scotland is an arctic species which is Eledone cirrhosa, a google search will drag up a lot about that one.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Nancy said:
I believe that Jean works with cold-water species in New Zealand.

Nancy

er .............not that cold ........really! :lol: But yes compared to some of the octis you guys have ours are cold water.......but that hasn't really extended their lives much.

Pinnoctopus cordiformis lives for about 2 years and Octopus huttoni (see Steve got it right this time :lol: :lol: ) for less, around a year or so.

To get really cold water species we'd have to get closer to the antarctic.......maybe look at something like Pareledone sp. Anyone care to fund a wee trip to the ice for me.............................please?

Cheers
J

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acorn kid

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan