• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Arctic octopus

lotus101

O. vulgaris
Registered
I was just watching a show on the discovery channel on the intellegence of octopus's and was just wondering whether anyone had any experiences with the arctic octopus. The reason I ask is because they are the longest living octo's (six years) and are really small (I think I heard they're golfball size).
I'm not planning on getting one because they probably need water near freezing, but I was just curious.

Hi,

I don't know of anyone with Arctic octo experience, but from what I've read, the colder the water, the longer the octo lifespan.

I believe that Jean works with cold-water species in New Zealand.

Nancy

The most stuff online about arctic octos is by James Woods, he studied the arctic octo Bathypolypus articus for his PhD

http://www.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/barctic.html

Also, the only native species in Scotland is an arctic species which is Eledone cirrhosa, a google search will drag up a lot about that one.

Nancy said:
I believe that Jean works with cold-water species in New Zealand.

Nancy

er .............not that cold ........really! :lol: But yes compared to some of the octis you guys have ours are cold water.......but that hasn't really extended their lives much.

Pinnoctopus cordiformis lives for about 2 years and Octopus huttoni (see Steve got it right this time :lol: :lol: ) for less, around a year or so.

To get really cold water species we'd have to get closer to the antarctic.......maybe look at something like Pareledone sp. Anyone care to fund a wee trip to the ice for me.............................please?

Cheers
J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back