[Octopus]: An Unexpected Visitor

I was planning not to make an account here for around another year, but it seems like a certain hitchhiker had other plans. I got a new live rock for my 10 gallon reef aquarium today, and when I was placing the rock in, I saw something brown and squishy with arms with suckers, and it grabbed my glove. After that, it retreated into the rock. Other than that, I also some bristle worms and brittle stars, although they were definitely different than what I first saw. Any advice is welcome, I can move up to a 38 gallon bowfront whenever needed, and I can get a 50 after that. I plan on trying to look again tommorow and feed it some live brine I happen to have, and I'll take appropriate measures to seal my tank.

Wild! Congrats on your hitchhiker! Here's a classic hitchhiker thread for you to peruse while your new friend settles in:

I was planning not to make an account here for around another year, but it seems like a certain hitchhiker had other plans. I got a new live rock for my 10 gallon reef aquarium today, and when I was placing the rock in, I saw something brown and squishy with arms with suckers, and it grabbed my glove. After that, it retreated into the rock. Other than that, I also some bristle worms and brittle stars, although they were definitely different than what I first saw. Any advice is welcome, I can move up to a 38 gallon bowfront whenever needed, and I can get a 50 after that. I plan on trying to look again tommorow and feed it some live brine I happen to have, and I'll take appropriate measures to seal my tank.
Wowww! Lucky you! I definitely want to see some pics please.

Congratulations, and welcome! Do you know where your live rock was collected from? It will help narrow down an ID, which in turn will direct your decisions on what size tank you’ll need. 🤣. If you’re not seeing any action during the day, wait at least an hour after dark and peek with a flashlight. Have fun and keep us posted!

Congratulations, and welcome! Do you know where your live rock was collected from? It will help narrow down an ID, which in turn will direct your decisions on what size tank you’ll need. 🤣. If you’re not seeing any action during the day, wait at least an hour after dark and peek with a flashlight. Have fun and keep us posted!
I will ask the store that I got the rock from, I still haven't seen any sightings, although I'm hoping to catch a glimpse in a few days once its settled a bit. Right now I have bigger fish to fry (lol) with an aptasia infestation.

As it turns out it was likely a false alarm. While it is sad, it has significantly opened up my mom to the possibility of an octo, so I might be back here at some point. In particular, I really like Octopus Briareus.

As it turns out it was likely a false alarm.
Are you sure? The young ones can be REALLY evasive, for what seems like forever. In any case, if it shows up again, just reply to this thread 😁 ... otherwise, do come back if you try again... or heck, stick around, it's always nice to hear from fellow ceph-heads in our forums :octopus:

Are you sure? The young ones can be REALLY evasive, for what seems like forever. In any case, if it shows up again, just reply to this thread 😁 ... otherwise, do come back if you try again... or heck, stick around, it's always nice to hear from fellow ceph-heads in our forums :octopus:
The only reason we think so is that we removed the rock it was in, and very carefully inspected all of the holes in it, and all we saw are starfish. While we would love to wait just in case, that rock is positively coated with aptasia that we really can't deal with.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back