• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Aculeatus Hatchlings

~Flighty~

Blue Ring
Registered
Well several hundred little babies are off to a few new homes. We split them up and spread them around so we can learn as much as we can. I am optimistic that there might be a chance with the different foods that will be tried.

me2003

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Thanks for octopus paralarvae. I am trying collecting plankton with a plankton net. It looks like some researchers may have had some success
raising octopus paralarvae. Below are a couple of references. Copepods
may be a possible food source. They used live king crab (Lithodes santolla) zoeae. Juvenile (1-5 day) Mysid shrimp might be a good food source but they are 50 cents each.

Mike

Biology of the Planktonic Stages of Benthic Octopuses,R. Villanueva and M.D. Norman
Oceanography and Marine Biology: An Annual Review, Volume 46

Rearing and Growth of the Octopus Robsonella fontaniana (Cephalopoda: Octopodidae) From Planktonic Hatchlings to Benthic Juveniles
Iker Uriarte1,2,*, Jorge Hernández1,2,**, Jessica Dörner1, Kurt Paschke1,2, Ana Farías1,2, Enzo Crovetto3,{dagger} and Carlos Rosas4

"R. fontaniana could serve as a reference model for rearing other cephalopod species with planktonic phases (González et al., 2008; Uriarte et al., 2008a, b; Pereda et al., 2009)."

Thanks for the opportunity with these. Some results here:

Day 4 - Down to 1 this morning.
I cannot get a picture showing it, but there is a light red / pink spot inside of mantle, just aft of center. I'm unsure of where gut might be located.

What I fed:
New hatch artemia
Rotifers
Tigriopus califoricus
Copepods and tiny isopods vacuumed off glass of cuttlefish display
Mortor / pestle ground flake and shrimp pellet (one of my mysid foods)
Frozen cyclops

The set up for the 100+ hatchlings:
5g aga w/ screened bulkhead drain, plumbed into a 165g volume reef set up.
"very low" flow
I neglected to light block tank the first day, but did there after.
End of day 2, I transferred 8 surviving to a small Dip-n-Pour inside the 5g and reduced flow (in it) to a trickle
End of day 3 had 2 surviving

Excellent photos here:
http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=193&t=7490#p71777

We tried to take pictures of a 32" display hooked up to microscope, but mine didn't come out well.

Attachments

• conv_296603.jpg
    conv_296603.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 72
Ha,
Yes, forgot that one. I did thaw a cube of SFB frozen cyclops and drew out just a little for the octopus. I remember seeing that bright orange in mysid guts.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
You can try soaking all the food in the Cyclop-eeze just before feeding. For my briareus (large egg, benthic) hatchlings, I seed the tank with a mixture of Cyclop-eeze and Frozen oyster egg and then let whatever I am going to feed sit in the remaining saltwater and thawed mixture. Since one of mine will turn upside down and troll the surface, I suspect it might help for the peligics as well.

rawigton10

Hatchling
Registered
I realize its too late for this batch of paralarvae, but if you or anyone else has any octos that lay eggs I am doing a graduate project on the paralarvae. The only issue is that I need the eggs before they hatch. I have tanks and everything setup so it would be relatively easy for me to get them on short notice. Any help that I could get with this would be very much appreciated.