• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Is my octo in senecence?

Please can somebody help me out,im new to having a "pet" octo and i have had her with no trouble for about 4 or 5 months,we played everyday,i give her live food to hunt, keep her tank perameters good and i can see no change in environment,except i put a sea apple in with her, she explored it when it went in and nothing between them since,both animals look healthy,but about a week ago,Octavia went into her cave, and wont come out again,not for food or playtime,as far as i can tell she hasn't been out in the night either,she is not eating even though ive tried tempting her with a plethora of live goodies,i occasionally get a tentacle wiggle from her,as far as i can see there are no marks on her, but i cant see into the cave to look for eggs and she wont come out,im just a little worried for her so any info and help would be appriciated as she was so active before i really hope i havn't done anything wrong.šŸ™

Sea apples are known to poison tanks but I don't know if that is only on their death.

The octo behavior is exactly like a brooding animal. The eggs are less likely to be fertile than if you had only had her 3 months but there is still a possibility of hatchlings. Do you know the species?

Sea apples are known to poison tanks but I don't know if that is only on their death.

The octo behavior is exactly like a brooding animal. The eggs are less likely to be fertile than if you had only had her 3 months but there is still a possibility of hatchlings. Do you know the species?
She is an O.vulgaris, the sea apple has had no signs of stress,they can spew their toxic guts up if threatened and will expel toxins on death,but its fine,feeding,no trouble,ive read they are about the only compatible animal for an octo.So all i can think is that its senecence or boredom,but i try so hard keeping her entertained every day.

I agree with what @DWhatley said about brooding behavior. Egg laying and senescence often goes hand-in-hand in certain octopus species. Loss of interest in food, increased time spent in a den, and reduction in movement around the tank and exploration are all factors that point to brooding behavior. If possible I would encourage you to see if she laid any eggs. Either way, if she has or if she hasn't she is probably nearing the end of her natural life span. Enjoy the time you get to spend with her! These animals never live long and watching one reach the end of their life is always difficult.

Keep us updated if you learn anything more!

I agree with what @DWhatley said about brooding behavior. Egg laying and senescence often goes hand-in-hand in certain octopus species. Loss of interest in food, increased time spent in a den, and reduction in movement around the tank and exploration are all factors that point to brooding behavior. If possible I would encourage you to see if she laid any eggs. Either way, if she has or if she hasn't she is probably nearing the end of her natural life span. Enjoy the time you get to spend with her! These animals never live long and watching one reach the end of their life is always difficult.

Keep us updated if you learn anything more!
Thank you for the replies guys,i wish i could see into her cave to have a look for eggs but she fills it and i cant see in at all,and she still hasn't been out as far as i can tell,if she does i will have a look inside.šŸ™

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back