• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I dont know what is happening to my octopus

So I have had a Bimac from TomH for over a month now, it was doing great, exploring the aquarium all the time, playing with rocks and seashells, hunting the little damselfish I had in the tank, but 4 days ago it stopped leaving it's den, I thought it might be the alkalinity, since it was a little low, but it's been back to 170 mg/L for over a day now and she still isn't coming out of her den, she didn't even eat yesterday's shrimp. I don't think that she has layed eggs, I don't see any and I just got her so she shouldn't be that old. She isn't weak or anything either, when I tried to remove shells to see what was going on, she grabbed my fingers and started pulling them with her very hard and she wouldn't let me move the shells, holding on to them with a lot of force. What could I be doing wrong?
IMG_0481.png
Also, I don't know why the image is reversed.

Hi @humanlikecreature -- sorry you're dealing with this... I know from a lot of stories here that octos typically don't like their dens to be disturbed, so it's not surprising that there would be some backlash against moving any shells, etc. Any updates on this since Tuesday?

I don't know much as I'm pretty new, but my bimac, Bubblegum recently had a period of being veryyy inactive and I had the same worry. I ended up seeing her come out after a week or so and completely do a 180 into super active and eating a ton. At this point I've noticed she has more of these days long cycles rather than daily habits. I might not see her at all for 5 days and then she won't leave me alone and keeps accepting food for days on end. I don't know if this helps, but I hope it turns out the same for you!

I'm sorry about the errant @octobot messages that were posted above -- I was conducting a ChatGPT test that went awry (this project is discussed here) and I hadn't seen this one to clean it up -- it is deleted now!

I don't know much as I'm pretty new, but my bimac, Bubblegum recently had a period of being veryyy inactive and I had the same worry. I ended up seeing her come out after a week or so and completely do a 180 into super active and eating a ton. At this point I've noticed she has more of these days long cycles rather than daily habits. I might not see her at all for 5 days and then she won't leave me alone and keeps accepting food for days on end. I don't know if this helps, but I hope it turns out the same for you!

I've read similar to this -- there are many threads on this forum with owners having the same concerns, followed by an update days later that all is OK. +1, hope the same for you @humanlikecreature -- how is your bimac doing?

Defiantly looks like eggs to me. They can come with a sperm pack. Sounds pretty similar to what happened with mine See my bimac hatching timeline

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back