"Yo quiero TAKO" - Cephs in anime, and worldwide

Hiya!

See, I liked hand Maid May, only because I thought it was funny. But you're right; I think innuendo comedies are pretty trite and cliche in anime, and ones like "Strawberry Eggs" and "Dual" are better.

I am also a big fan of Haibane Renmei, and I'm glad to hear of someone else who is familiar with it. As far as Miyazaki and Isao Takahara (Studio Ghibli in general) are concerned I have seen every film except for "Howl's Moving Castle", which isn't scheduled for release until July.

Overall, my favorite anime series of all was "Cowboy Bebop".

Always fun to see another anime fan!

Sushi and Sake,

John

P.S.... "House Fly"? Very cool!

Ah, anime! We may be getting a little OT here, but I have recently gotten into the genre and IMHO Miyazaki's crown jewel is SPIRITED AWAY. It is exquisite and has become my favorite animated feature of all time.

Lately I have been watching INUYASHA and RUROUNI KENSHIN on the Cartoon Network, too.

Emperor, please PM me that link which was censored (I can certify that I am 2 x 21, plus 11 :biggrin2: ). I find the topic quite interesting, and I agree with your conclusion that the roots of tentacle hentai are in the ancient Japanese imagery of women/mermaids mating with cephs, though I find the modern version crude and often sadistic. I believe the image is a Shinto fertility symbol, as I doubt if anyone (least of all cephs themselves!) has ever figured out a way to actually do it! In fact, there is an entire thread on this topic -- I believe under the title "Mucho Bizarreness" -- on the Members' Forum, so if you are not yet a member that might be a good incentive to join!

Konichiwa and Happy New Year,
Tani

Emperor

GPO
Registered
TaningiaDanae said:
Emperor, please PM me that link which was censored (I can certify that I am 2 x 21, plus 11 :biggrin2: ). I find the topic quite interesting, and I agree with your conclusion that the roots of tentacle hentai are in the ancient Japanese imagery of women/mermaids mating with cephs, though I find the modern version crude and often sadistic. I believe the image is a Shinto fertility symbol, as I doubt if anyone (least of all cephs themselves!) has ever figured out a way to actually do it! In fact, there is an entire thread on this topic -- I believe under the title "Mucho Bizarreness" -- on the Members' Forum, so if you are not yet a member that might be a good incentive to join!

I think 2 x 21 + 11 should about do :wink: PM away.

The modern version is vile (anyone, at least of non-Japanese decent, who enjoys it has to have something deeply wrong with them) but it does make more sense (especially the nearly mainstream nature of it - I watch a BBC News 24 report on it and you can just pick i up in ordinary comic shops and I believe it makes an appearance in 'Legend of the Overfiend' which was massive) when seen in the light of:

1. The hentai guidelines which don't allow male genitals in cartoons.

2. The 'priming' of the society due to the blurring of line between human and animal that underpins animisim (that is a mainstay of Shinto).

So it can't be shrugged off with a 'only in Japan'.

However, it is still really extreme because it breaks one of our few remaining taboos in the West and combines it with a cephalopod which adds brings in elements of something 'alien'/other. As the Japanese are reliant on the fertility of the sea (and it is "The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife") you can see why it was an important aspect. I haven't read anywhere if this based on early legends or stories but I suspect it must have great antiquity and I wouldn't be suprised if there have been scholarly investigations of this in Japanese but thats where the language barrier gets in the way but I am happy to leave it at that point as at least it now makes sense (even if it is still repellent).

Emps

Here's an interesting sidenote: Ever notice that H.R. Geiger's "Alien" (from the 1979 movie) had tentacles? Its had four hose-like tentacles that jutted out from its dorsal section.

I think that there may be some nod to deep-seated fears of the unknown when it comes to octos and how they (and their various body parts) are portrayed in popular culture. I think we get weirded out when we consider the idea that these animals, mollouscs at that, can show so much intelligence and overall potential.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

John

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
John,

Before Giger became involved with "Alien," the filmmakers envisaged the first-stage creature, the Facehugger, as an octopus-like creature. The "pipes" on the adult creature's back served an important visual function, as they broke-up the humanoid outlines of the Alien (and obscured the fact that it was a man in a rubber suit). Unsurprisingly, Giger's work has long been esteemed by Japanese audiences.

Clem

Clem,

WOW!! Thank you! I was five when "Alien" was released in theatres, and even though I wasn't allowed to see it, I saw this two foot high Alien action figure that scared the hell outta me. For six years these creatures dominated my nightmares until my borther took me to see the sequel "Aliens" in 1986. That got rid of my fear, and to this day those creatures are my favorite horror movie monsters, and the only movie creatures to ever scare me. So any background on them is much appreciated.

Facehuggers and Xenomorphs,

John

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I remember the whip/tentacle like appendages in the second, but dont recall them in the first... as soon as i get home (next day or two) ill have to watch the three together to compare [i try my best to ignore the existance of the fourth, much like Rocky V], since i think i vaguely recall that they made modifications between movies....

The things in the back are hard... they are not tenticles. They are horns or things that are used to stick to walls/help camoflage.

here is a pic of the origonal face hugger
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~DBJacobson/facehugger.jpg

Here is a link to the script
http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/alien_shooting.html

::edit::
They don't have tentacles in the final draft, they just have very prehensile tails. But in the first draft it had tenticles with claws at the end, this was before Geiger drew up the design.

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Hello MuscaDomestica,

Thank you for posting the link to that ol' Facehugger concept. Credit for that drawing goes to Mr. Ron Cobb, who was responsible for designing the humans' spacecraft in "Alien," the Nostromo. Cobb also played a major role in shaping the look of "Star Wars," and designed the Nazis' flying wing in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Clem

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Clem said:
and designed the Nazis' flying wing in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

i had always heard that the Yb-49 was ripped off from a German wwii bomber design circa 44/45....since the movies were set pre-war, wouldnt it just be a natural step to simply make them propeller driven? of course this is off topic.... as for the aliens, i could swear i remember some type of thing whipping around behind them as they detached, unless it was just the tail..... what about the design of the Queen in the second, any tentacular appendages there?

Latest Posts