Yet another introduction

I'm not sure if anyone reads these kinds of introductions, but I just wanted to poke my head in and say hello. I don't know if I'll be very active or chatty on the forums yet, since I am totally new and don't know much about keeping cephs as pets. I've loved cephs (and especially octopi) for a very long time, but it never occured to me to keep one as a pet until I saw a pet on a youtube video.

I have no plans to go out and buy an octi any time soon - I need to do a lot more research first, and I want to save up enough money to buy the best and biggest equipment possible. I don't anticipate even starting to buy equipment for many months.

I want to thank all the people who provide such a treasure trove of information here ... I think it's so important to know as much as you possibly can before jumping in to something like this, and you guys are going to be a great help. So thank you!

kwsapphire;98759 said:
I'm not sure if anyone reads these kinds of introductions, but I just wanted to poke my head in and say hello. I don't know if I'll be very active or chatty on the forums yet, since I am totally new and don't know much about keeping cephs as pets.
Welcome! Like several others here, I try to read and respond to all introductions posted. It's easy to take for granted the gesture of someone new coming online and introducing themselves... we "regulars" post notes in this forum as a second nature... You see us enthusiastically welcoming you here because a) we try not to take you for granted! and b) we're always eager to meet like-minded people, whether we're learning from them or sharing our own knowledge with them. Ask other people who have been to the TONMOCONs -- it's hard to explain the experience of getting together with folks with a common interest in cephs. I had a such an amazing time at both of them -- such great people, sharing a passion for these strange creatures. It's why people keep coming back to TONMO.com itself, and it's only that much more enhanced when getting together in person...

anyway... there's a ramble for you. Welcome!!

:welcome: I try to at least glance at all the posts, and I try to say something (although often pretty minimal) to welcome everyone new, so yes, they do get read by at least a few of us... sometimes it's nice to be able to go back and see what someone says about themselves in an intro, too, to find out if they're a student, or an experienced tank-keeper, or what...

On the other hand, I wouldn't blame anyone for just jumping into the discussions and skipping the intro, either...

:welcome: Yes, most of us do read them, and are always interested in finding other ceph heads to talk to. Some of us, (myself included) will never be a ceph owner, but that doesn't mean I don't read every post about ceph care and dream. Enjoy reading!

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

Yes, we do read the the Introduce Yourself forum, even if we don't answer every post personally. It's nice to find out something about the new people who are posting.

I was wondering what NPR Florida means. I'm not so familiar with Florida.

Nice to have you aboard!

Nancy

Nancy;98836 said:
I was wondering what NPR Florida means. I'm not so familiar with Florida.

NPR is New Port Richey, which is about an hour north-west of Tampa. Almost everyone who lives here (that I know of, anyway) uses NPR instead, both because New Port Richey doesn't fit on most standard forms, and because non-residents can never remember how to spell "Richey" (I've seen all kinds of spellings!)

I want to thank everyone for such a warm welcome! I would have replied sooner, but I thought for sure I'd signed up for replies to be emailed to me, so when nothing came to my inbox, I figured no one had replied. I'm happily surprised to see so many welcomes ^_^

As an aside, I couldn't find the code of conduct mentioned in the user agreement for the forums. (The link in the agreement itself is broken.) I'll continue to poke around the site and look for it, but if I accidentally offend someone in the meantime, or break some tabboo, please forgive! :smile:

kwsapphire;98925 said:
NPR is New Port Richey, which is about an hour north-west of Tampa. Almost everyone who lives here (that I know of, anyway) uses NPR instead, both because New Port Richey doesn't fit on most standard forms, and because non-residents can never remember how to spell "Richey" (I've seen all kinds of spellings!)

I want to thank everyone for such a warm welcome! I would have replied sooner, but I thought for sure I'd signed up for replies to be emailed to me, so when nothing came to my inbox, I figured no one had replied. I'm happily surprised to see so many welcomes ^_^

As an aside, I couldn't find the code of conduct mentioned in the user agreement for the forums. (The link in the agreement itself is broken.) I'll continue to poke around the site and look for it, but if I accidentally offend someone in the meantime, or break some tabboo, please forgive! :smile:

Unfortunately, email notifications have been funny for a while, and there's no ETA for repair as yet s far as I know (Tony?). Sorry about that. I don't think you're in danger of doing anything outside the accepted behavior; you don't seem prone to starting flamewars, posting spam selling cell phones, or advocating ceph husbandry practices that are ethically questionable, so you pretty much don't need to worry.

I tried a fix but didn't hear back on it -- guess no luck on that attempt!

I'll also look into the bad links. Thanks for the heads-up!

Tony,
Sorry, I tried the email when you mentioned the fix but must have forgotten to tell you that it didn't work. HOWEVER, whatever you did a few minutes ago has finally started spewing emails!

The broken link is when you are first signing up on the forums, there are links to reading the code of ethics and something else, and neither link worked. Obviously I could still sign up, but I was worried that I might do something that was against the rules until I found the code of ethics! Some forums have really weird rules.. I was banned from the Tampa Bay Buccanneers forum for something I didn't even do!! They accused me of "ghosting" - or having two accounts and posting under two names. I didn't! So either someone was spoofing my IP address or their system was messed up ;_;

But they also had all kinds of weird rules, like you aren't allowed to put people's names in the subject of your thread (they considered it "calling people out" or trying to start a fight, even if that's not what you were trying to do!) and you aren't allowed to ask anyone if they have any of the games on tape, and you can't mention certain events in NFL history (like when Michael Vick used a false name to sleep around and spread an STD). Just a ton of stupid rules, and there's no warning system, you just get suspended or banned. And there's no appeal system, so even though I wasn't ghosting, I can't even talk to a moderator about it.

Of course, there are also a lot of jerks on that forum, and fights break out all the time, and flamewars, so I'm kind of glad I've been prevented from posting there anymore. :P

:bugout: Self-censorship and historical revisionism on sports boards! :roflmao: This amuses me more than it should.

Silly or strange-seeming rules are sometimes implemented in response to unanticipated discussions and arguments. Cephalopods seem not to touch nerves the same way that football seems to on that board, but there were strong opinions expressed on ethical issues here on Tonmo. I missed that, but to me, this is a great place to discuss such an issue because some of the members of this community are very informed and share their knowledge. Threads where people (politely) disagree can be the most informative. Some even own up to changing their opinions over time!

kwsapphire, I will blame you if I start lurking on the Buccaneers board!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back