• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WC bandensis eggs!

All bad luck so far. Its not the hatch, its the development. I had a theory it was because they were kept as a group and the females were harrassed while laying so it might be stress related and/or sperm packet dislodgment competition. I have switched things around so instead of having one large group, I have a couple, a foursome mmff and two bachelors. There were some eggs laid in the couples tank yesterday and they look much much fatter than the last ones - perhaps the moving helped or perhaps they are starting to hit their stride as it were. We'll see what happens.

There have been about 6 batches of eggs, none of them very big. About 6 eggs inflated, one hatched and the baby dissapeared within two day. Of the other eggs that inflated, I popped 2 (that sucked so much) and four hatched early, but I never say babies.
The new batches are bigger in numbers and size.

I also have moved the cuttles around a little more and now have 3 pairs in various size tanks. Some large some small, so I am very interested to see how they do in terms of fighting. Also have 2 extra males in not giant spaces which will also be interesting.

Something interesting from James Wood:

Cuttlefish Husbandry: Part II - Where can I get a cuttlefish? - The Cephalopod Page

The folks at NRCC may or may not have excess animals at any given moment so you may have to wait or look elsewhere if their stocks are low. Another possible drawback if you want to breed your cephalopods is that eggs from laboratory raised cephalopods seem to have a fertility rate of 10% of so. Scientists are not sure what causes this though it doesn't seem to be diet or environment as young animals taken from the wild and reared in the same system lay eggs that are 100% fertile. John Forsythe, a scientist at NRCC, hypothesized that the loss of fertility could be due to something like the animals not getting a symbiotic bacteria in the lab.

Interesting. I wonder if that symbiotic bacteria was identified? Then tests could be done to see if it helps with fertility. Anyway, I hope you start to get even 10% fertility, then at least some people might be able to get some, or you will at least have a next generation to breed.

I doubt that it even has anything to do with the adults. THe sybiotic thing makes sense, but it has to start as an egg. In the egg stage all animals are developing. THis is the most sensitive part of the life, and the easiest part to change. A slight change in temp. decides the gender of many reptiles. So my theory would be that the eggs themselves are not getting something. THen when the grow up they cant produce as many fertile eggs as a result. Eggs layed in water are especially sensitive to the environment. To continue with my theory i would say that because many labs use direct seawater, its not a lack of nutrients. Rather, it may have to do with the depth ot where the eggs are layed in the water vs depth at which they are laid in captivity. Although it is not much of a difference water pressure would most likely be higher in the wild. Because cephalopods have almost no bone structure their bodies (as i would assume) are probably more sensitive to pressure change. Without strong bones it must be harder to do basic things without acclimation. In the egg stage perhaps certain parts of the brain or reproductive organ cannotgrow without more pressure to make them stronger. In a zone with less pressure the cells may not group as strongly togethure and might not develop quite properrly. THis might cause a change in hormone reduction which would directly affect how well sperm/eggs are produced. Or the lighter pressure may cause the reproductive organs to not form properly, thus even with the normal hormone production deformed/unviable sperm/eggs could be produced.
Wow, that was way longer than i thought it would be. I really only ment it to be a short idea. Watever, it might not be true but its just a guess at the cause of the decreased viability.

I think it may have a lot to do with the adults. Sperm competition and sperm flushing has been observed in Sepia officinalis. The current theory I am working with is that that competition in S. bandensis groups is causing low fertility even though there is decent fecundity. I am doing more research in my spare time. :biggrin2:

THe only reason i dont think it has to do with the adults is because it says that lab reared specimens have reduced fertility as opposed to specimens taken from the wild which lay eggs 100% viable. In the same environment specimens from the wild lay more viable eggs than those of lab reared ones. THis would lead me to believe that if the environment is truly the smae there is still going to be the same amount of cuttlefish and competetion. I really dont have any direct proof to support my theory and i obviously havent tested it. I am just basing my opinion on work ive done in school labs, and on how labs usually conduct test, along with my tectbook (as in i havent kept them) knowledge of cephalopods.

I was looking through some old photos and found a shot with all my "kids." Left to right, it is Cuddly, Scrunchy and Baby A (the female...).

Attachments

• conv_292193.jpg
    conv_292193.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back