• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WC bandensis eggs!

dwhatley;100064 said:
Euthanasia is a difficult topic. Personally, have found that I won't (by found I mean when the situation is there I can't make myself) but I don't disagree with those that do. What I do have problems with is the accepted use of freezing. Unlike a land creature, a marine animal is likely to die of suffication before it just goes to sleep and that gives me nightmares.

At the risk of anthropomorphizing, from personal experience I can tell you that at least for humans suffocation isn't such a bad way to go. It's really scary, but it doesn't hurt. (Didn't know I was a ghost, did you?)

Gravesly,
It never occurred to me to put the critter in water in the freezer and I have much less concern about doing it that way. Since I know I can't (and yes, I have had to consider it with a couple of animals and I can't say my choice was best in one case). I prefer not to think on the subject too deeply so my horror over the recommended method may be unfounded if "freezing" excludes suffocation.

Sharon,
It is the scary part that I have problems with. I work hard at having my pets trust me implicity and to make their final moments terrifying is something I just couldn't do.

dwhatley;100163 said:
Gravesly,
"It never occurred to me to put the critter in water in the freezer and I have much less concern about doing it that way. "....

"I prefer not to think on the subject too deeply so my horror over the recommended method may be unfounded if "freezing" excludes suffocation."

oh, yes, whenever I have had to do such a thing to any of my fish, I have always carefully, and with respect, put the small critter into a bag with water, and then let the little one just fall asleep. At least that is how it was explained to me.
And I am sorry if I brought up any unwanted memories.
On to a better topic I think....
How 'bout those cubbies? :wink: lol :tomato:

Personally i have never kept any cephs (though i wil soon) but i think that just letting them die naturally is the best thing to do. THe reasonig for this is because in nature they die the same way. Sure many may get eaten wen in this sickly state but some must die naturally. So rather than stress the fish even more by taking it out and freezing it or wtvr i think its best to let it die like it normally would because its probably mich less stressful for them to die naturally. :cry:

does anyone have any bandensis eggs available any time soon? or perhaps some young cuttles? Im kinda new on this website, so im trying to get a grasp of everything! :wink: Sweet site though, very informative!

sandlot13;101711 said:
does anyone have any bandensis eggs available any time soon? or perhaps some young cuttles? Im kinda new on this website, so im trying to get a grasp of everything! :wink: Sweet site though, very informative!

:welcome: I think Thales might be your best bet, but he'd be the one to answer for sure...

Is that Gainesville, FL (not likely to be Gainesville, GA :sad:)? Is there a website (there is an Aquatropics.com in Crystal, MN but I don't think it is the store you mention)?

Cuttle eggs

Give us a call 352 336 6303, we ship the cuttles next day for like $25, we also have a mimic in one of our display tanks. Il try to post some pics when i get a chance.

shipposhack;102361 said:
Thales where do you get the food small food needed for the babies?

I used to collect amhipods, but now I just order mysids for the first month, and small shore shrimp for the next couple of months. For mysids I use Reed Mariculture and for shrimp I use either Northeast Brineshrimp or Sachs Aquaculture.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back