• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WC bandensis eggs!

Jennifer, Thales, Paradox:
At what size can I put my two babies in a 15 gallon tank? They are not at all crowded in the breeder net (about 1.5 times the normal breeder net size and has a LR hiding place) and are getting fat and sassy there but it would be nice to have them in their first tank so that we can see them in a less artificial environment as well a being able to get some pictures (the water flow prohibits photos in the net). They are eating shrimp regularly but I continue giving some Cyclopeese daily.

Thales, Winkin' and Blinkin' are about a week behind the ones you also bought from Seacrop.

Thanks!

My judgment on this would be based on the amount of live rock in the tank. If there is a lot and plenty of places for the cuttles to hide, I may wait until they are bigger because you will have a daily heart attack looking for them.

15 gallons is pretty small, so you wont have too much of a problem losing track of them. Personally I would let them in at about half an inch and when you feel they are efficient hunters. Put them both in at the same time, so there wont be territorial disputes in the future. Be sure all water intakes are shielded and safe. I had to add extra media around the supplied powerhead intakes because they can be harmful.

Good luck!!

Cuttles ready for a real tank?

Paradox,
Thanks for the reply. I would guess mine are about an inch (and almost as wide :hmm: as they are long without their heads). I know they can and do catch the shrimp in the net but am worried about their abilities in the larger tank. It may only be 15 gallons but it is a hex and has an LR "mountain" that they can swim around and through so there is more swimming (and hiding) space than in a rectangular tank.

Is there any harm in overstocking the shrimp? Since they are cleanup critters there should be no harm to the water quality and I have been keeping a constant supply in the net in addition to feeding Cyclopese (hence their girth).

I am glad you mentioned the potential problems with the intake as I would not have covered it, thinking they were big enough for it not to be a problem. At what size is an intake save or should it always be reduced for these guys?

Even at an inch long, you will still have a daily heart attack searching for them :roll:. I would say they are big enough to be released to the wilds of your 15 gallon, I hope you have the next size tank ready for them, because they are going to need to move soon... If they are actively hunting, they shouldn't have any trouble finding the shrimp.

I covered my intakes with a sleeve of window screen (fiberglass) that I sewed with nylon thread. I could still slide it off to rinse it when it got too covered with gunk...

Good luck!

At an inch, I think they can graduate from the breeder net with honors =)

Theres no problem with overstocking your tank with shrimp, but I would recommend just throwing in thier usual meal size quantity during feeding time. This way, they should be more active and will come out to look for food.

From my local asian dollar store (Where I get a lot of DIY materials) I purchased these plastic faucet drain nets. They are long and cylindrical with an open end that is made to fasten to a faucet. I rolled it up like a sock to the length of the intake of my powerhead and it fits perfectly. Anything that adds distance from the intake, so the suction is not so concentrated should work.

Finally, I can post pictures!!!

The first picture is Cuddly looking HUGE.

The second picture is Cuddly with my hand and the third picture is Cuddly with my five-year old.

Attachments

• conv_290936.jpg
    conv_290936.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 83
  • conv_290937.jpg
    conv_290937.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 107
  • conv_290938.jpg
    conv_290938.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 71
yes he looks soo cute. one question though, do any of your cuttlefish like being pet? you know like a cat or dog does. the fact that they let you pet them seems to say yes but I was wondering if you all see any other indications that they enjoy it.

bigred1970;96393 said:
yes he looks soo cute. one question though, do any of your cuttlefish like being pet? you know like a cat or dog does. the fact that they let you pet them seems to say yes but I was wondering if you all see any other indications that they enjoy it.

All of my cuttlefish tolerated touching. Baby A (the female) is the only one who really seemed invite being touched.

Cuddly is still going strong, has now spent 13 months with me.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back