Joel - Thanks for the reply, the main reason I ask is this seems like an automatic considering the lack of chems allowed for treatment in the event of illness. A UV sterilzer would minimize infections, but I dont know how well on the symptoms you mentioned. Maybe I will just be one of the people who end up swearing by it for no reason :P
because a ceph is so messy and can produce a lot of ammonia and therefore eventually nitrate it can cause a lot of algae but having a UV steriliser will hold back the algae by killing off free floating algae spores etc.
PS butt burn is much worse for cuttles where in extreme cases the internal shell can split through the mantle!!!