• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Is this tank suitable for a 2 spot

Mr.Bubbles

Hatchling
Registered
Here is the tank I'm thinking about getting, 40-gallon AIO, do they try to get in the filtration systems? Are there any additional equipment I should get? (protein skimmer, UV sterilizer, extra filtration)

Hi you would be better off with a 65 gallon tank and it has the same footprint. Same stand! A sump with room for a good protein skimmer. Plenty of live rock for hiding places. Tight fitting top! Water temp should kept 70 degrees or lower. Lower is better. Thanks Tom

Hi you would be better off with a 65 gallon tank and it has the same footprint. Same stand! A sump with room for a good protein skimmer. Plenty of live rock for hiding places. Tight fitting top! Water temp should kept 70 degrees or lower. Lower is better. Thanks Tom
Hey Tom,
Do you think I can get away without having a sump? I'd love to do an AIO, innovative marine offers a protein skimmer and extra filtration in their systems, would that work? what would be the downsides?

Just my two cents but the issue with the AIOs are that the filtration tends to be underpowered. Those protein skimmers are designed to fit in the rear chamber and to work with a light bioload. When combined with the other included filtration, that may be sufficient for a few fish and corals. Octopuses create a lot more waste than an equivalent amount of fish. For a 40-50 gallon octopus aquarium where a protein skimmer was the primary filtration, I would be shooting for something that was rated for more like a 75-100 gallon tank. You would be much better off with the sump where you could overspec your equipment to handle the load.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back