• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

UV Sterilization

What are the beliefs/opinions about using a UV Sterlizer in the octo tank. I use them in my other tanks, and was curious as to why this is not a suggested part of an octo system.

Some people would swear by using one while others say it a waste of money and time. Its a matter of personal choice really.

Maybe they aren't used in octo tanks since most cephs don't seem too get infections unless they get butt burn. Also ceph eyes might get infected but its all not quite common.

Joel - Thanks for the reply, the main reason I ask is this seems like an automatic considering the lack of chems allowed for treatment in the event of illness. A UV sterilzer would minimize infections, but I dont know how well on the symptoms you mentioned. Maybe I will just be one of the people who end up swearing by it for no reason :P

i'll give you a reason :smile:

because a ceph is so messy and can produce a lot of ammonia and therefore eventually nitrate it can cause a lot of algae but having a UV steriliser will hold back the algae by killing off free floating algae spores etc.

PS butt burn is much worse for cuttles where in extreme cases the internal shell can split through the mantle!!!

Colin said:
i'll give you a reason :smile:PS butt burn is much worse for cuttles where in extreme cases the internal shell can split through the mantle!!!

Pretty sad ain't it , but I guess we're ultimately responsible for the butt burn as we probably scared them :?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back