• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

update one bubbles

my otopus has been realy timid since I covered my tank and cleaned my room will the sound of the vacum bother my octopus I feel realy bad becasue I had to vacum my rug twice onece from dust the other from the salt that fell wile I did a 20% water change the nexed day. havent tested my water this week but will. my octopus is almost always flashing colors. I nodiced the cuttest little thing yesterday I was watching my octopus and next to him ther was a little so tiny you had to look real close in the water jelly fish. all is well I nodiced a wite spot on one of the ends his tenticals.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi Clownfish,

Your octopus can't really hear - I doubt if your octo will pay any attention to the vacuum but might disturbed by you moving around cleaning.

It seems quite unlikely that you have a jellyfish - perhaps a small brittle star?

Nancy

it floted around and it looked just like one. I dont now but it looks cool.
do you now what the white stuff my octopus shoots out is? he has only done it twice ( he inked one) but thats all

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
clownfish said:
it floted around and it looked just like one. I dont now but it looks cool.
do you now what the white stuff my octopus shoots out is? he has only done it twice ( he inked one) but thats all

Hi Clown, the white stuf could be you know...........waste......poohs........etc !!

J

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi William,

A big wecome to TONMO.com. :welcome:

Good question - you can usually tell when an octo doesn't like something, but whether they like the vacuum or just don't hear or feel it is open to question.

My bimac played while vacuuming was going on, even when the vacuum was right in front of her tank, so at least I know she didn't hate it.

And, I remember reading a post some time ago from someone who was a member of a rock band. The band practiced in the same room where he kept his octopuses. He claims the octos danced to the beat :smile:, greatly distracting the band members.

Nancy

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Scouse said:
whats a vacuum?

Silly Brit, it's what a Hoover is-- a "vacuum cleaner." When I was in Scotland a few years ago, I had to get used to people "Hoovering the floor" rather than "vacuuming the floor" and the like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PmZkilla

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak