Uni-selection time!

So, as some of you might remember, I'm looking into getting myself into Uni (well...that was the plan, the grades...are something else I need to worry about.)

I'm looking into some hard concrete choices now, with AUT being my first. I'm now looking in the Aussie/NZ direction now but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing anymore.

I've been to the AUT website, looked at all the links and doodads and decided Applied Science sounds like what I'm going to apply for (or maybe I'm not, can Steve or Kat or somebody else enlighten me?)

Do I need a Personal Statment to apply for AU/NZ Unis? I also need the minimum requirements, in IB-score, which I have failed to locate the the enquiry section really isn't helping.

If I do need a PS/CV, can someone take a look at mine and tell me how I could improve upon it?

I swear, these Uni-doodads are killing me.

Conclusion:
I. Need Uni-list (up to 4), current selection being:
1) AUT
2) University of Otago
3)
4)

II. Need IB-score and uni information (particularly on Applied Science in AUT)
1) AUT -?
2) University of Otago - 26 IB points

III. Need somebody to help me write my PC/CV if required

Yar, bashing me head on a brick wall is less painful than writing up CVs. :banghead:

I know different countries often have different terminology and requirements for admissions, so it's probably useful to find out what the "standards" are in NZ before trying to understand AUT specifically.... at least in the US, the schools have their own esoteric requirements, but they assume everyone knows the "standard" requirements.

I'm a bit out of practice at such things, but usually schools seem to want transcripts, standardized test scores, some sort of essay, recommendations, and possibly an interview.

Also, at the risk of being scathing, the AUT website is utter crap. :smile: Your best bet is to be in touch with Steve directly about application requirements - as I recall it's a lot simpler than it looks.

I really don't want to influence your decision Eric; there are many universities with a better international reputation than AUT. The decision will be yours.

All I will say is that you'll have access to the postgraduate community from day 1, their research (and can get involved in it), a desk, swipe-card access to a secure area (that no other undergraduate ever has had), and will be spoilt rotten.

Your call!

You could look at coming south! Otago is a great uni, although we don't have a ceph group (Just me and Fiona) we do have a great zoo dept (& a minor in marine science) also we've just introduced a BApp Sci in Fisheries and Aquaculture.

http://www.otago.ac.nz/marinescience/
http://www.otago.ac.nz/appliedscience/bappsc/aqfi.php
http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/index.php

Course it's a wee bit colder down here than in Auckland........but we're close to ski fields, the fiords etc etc etc!!!

Cheers

Jean

Steve O'Shea;124233 said:
I really don't want to influence your decision Eric; there are many universities with a better international reputation than AUT. The decision will be yours.

All I will say is that you'll have access to the postgraduate community from day 1, their research (and can get involved in it), a desk, swipe-card access to a secure area (that no other undergraduate ever has had), and will be spoilt rotten.

Your call!

I'm personally less worried about reputation than am I going to enjoy my life there. My secondary school life so far makes going to hell sound like an improvement. Besides, at least I KNOW poeple there (unlike my current school, which USED to have a great reputation and turns out to be a hell-hole.)

Re: Otago, so what do I need to get in? I'm looking at the undergrad and frankly, all this internet and website looking is making me dizzy.
Am I on the right course if I'm staring at:
MARI 202 - Marine Invertebrates &
MARI 301 - Marine Ecology ?

You probably also need to think about the financial aspects.
Can you afford to go just anywhere? Do you need financial aid or a scholarship?

Also, I don't think many people find their years at university so bad. You have personal freedom and a fairly nice life. If you don't like what you're studying, then you can change to something else - you're not locked in, like you are in high school.

Nancy

Financially, my Dad says he can manage. But I might have to work a part-time job to make sure I don't become over-reliant and to not be such a big burden and all with a brother that JUST entered nursery school.

chrono_war01;124275 said:
I'm personally less worried about reputation than am I going to enjoy my life there. My secondary school life so far makes going to hell sound like an improvement. Besides, at least I KNOW poeple there (unlike my current school, which USED to have a great reputation and turns out to be a hell-hole.)

Re: Otago, so what do I need to get in? I'm looking at the undergrad and frankly, all this internet and website looking is making me dizzy.
Am I on the right course if I'm staring at:
MARI 202 - Marine Invertebrates &
MARI 301 - Marine Ecology ?

We have also earth and ocean science 111 (through the dept of geology but a prerequisite for marine science papers), MARI 201 Physical Marine Environment, MARI 302, Marine vertebrates. So yes you're on the right course, but check out the zoo dept too.

For Hong Kong students you need "Three passes at Advanced Level taken at one sitting with appropriate grades or better (see grade requirements PDF)." I've attached a pdf of grade requirements, I imagine your IB would qualify. We have a very strong international student body here at Otago.

I've been teaching both MARI 301 and MARI 202 this year and we have quite a large contingent of international students taking the courses....they seem to enjoy them :lol:

Also check out http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/prearrival.html for prearrival stuff like visas.

And For help we have international student services http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/studentservices.html

Otago is a friendly Uni and the international services group also run weekend trips and stuff so i don't think you need be lonely if you chose to come here!

J

Attachments

• conv_293186.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 107
Jean;124287 said:
We have also earth and ocean science 111 (through the dept of geology but a prerequisite for marine science papers), MARI 201 Physical Marine Environment, MARI 302, Marine vertebrates. So yes you're on the right course, but check out the zoo dept too.

For Hong Kong students you need "Three passes at Advanced Level taken at one sitting with appropriate grades or better (see grade requirements PDF)." I've attached a pdf of grade requirements, I imagine your IB would qualify. We have a very strong international student body here at Otago.

I've been teaching both MARI 301 and MARI 202 this year and we have quite a large contingent of international students taking the courses....they seem to enjoy them :lol:

Also check out http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/prearrival.html for prearrival stuff like visas.

And For help we have international student services http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/studentservices.html

Otago is a friendly Uni and the international services group also run weekend trips and stuff so i don't think you need be lonely if you chose to come here!

J

I'm staring at the .pdf, Applied Science part, that is the "correct" one I'm supposed to stare at, right? (Just checking to make sure, never could be too careful, right?)

Apparently, I would need 26 points to make it in, which sounds to be within reasonable reach...I hope. (With Oxford/Cambridge and various UK ones asking at between 30-40) :shock:

chrono_war01;124294 said:
I'm staring at the .pdf, Applied Science part, that is the "correct" one I'm supposed to stare at, right? (Just checking to make sure, never could be too careful, right?)

Apparently, I would need 26 points to make it in, which sounds to be within reasonable reach...I hope. (With Oxford/Cambridge and various UK ones asking at between 30-40) :shock:

If applied science is where you want to be ......yep!

There should be contact emails for staff in the international section and you can email them directly, they will know all the ins and outs!

Cheers

J

Okay, minor update ladies and gents:

I've been looking up the University of Adelaide in Aussie, but I can't seem to find much information about the the university itself in terms of its reputation and how good the courses along with accommodation there. Anyone heard anything good about that Uni? The requirements are similar, so I'm not very worried about that, but I just want keep an open mind when it comes to Uni-choosing.

And secondly, does applied science mean subjects such as marine biology and all that? Since going into more specific ecosystems would be something more along the lines of post-grad study, right? ....Right?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back