Uni-selection time!

I wouldn't assume any consistency as to what "applied science" means between universities. When I was an undergraduate, at least, Caltech's interpretation of "Engineering and Applied Science" had a particular set of courses that "counted" toward the major, which were generally things like engineering, computer science, applied physics, control theory, applied math, and that sort of thing. I was rather annoyed that biology, "computation in nervous systems," and and those sorts of things did *not* count. I'm not sure if that has been changed, but certainly the spirit of "applied science" at Caltech meant "taking scientific findings and applying them to engineering problems," while things like biology, theoretical physics, astronomy, and math were more "pure science" and not "applied science."

edit: Caltech has fixed this to some extent: CNS now counts, and 3 classes can come from other science areas, like biology, astronomy, physics, math, etc. But still, anyone wanting to do marine biology would need to be a biology major, not engineering and applied science.

well, with regards to AUT, if my memory serves well, I will be going to Bachelor of Applied Science majoring in either Enviromental Studies or Marine Biology (which I have just noticed, and according to the site, is a new course)

Uni of Adelaide would be:
Bachelor of Science (Marine Biology), I'm guessing that the brackets would be what I'm going to major in.

Otago would be:
Bachelor of Science, majoring in ...? Jean, help me! There's no Marine Science in undergrad! Ecology, maybe? I spied a MARI 301 which in the "Major in Ecology" section.

chrono_war01;124399 said:
Otago would be:
Bachelor of Science, majoring in ...? Jean, help me! There's no Marine Science in undergrad! Ecology, maybe? I spied a MARI 301 which in the "Major in Ecology" section.

What ever you want mine was behavioural psychology and zoology!!!

But given what I know about you I'd suggest a major in zoology or ecology with a minor in marine science.

J

Oh snap ladies and gentlemen, it seems like I'm not doing quite well with the new courses my school have chosen and I might not make it through with the required grades.

Can somebody tell me about Foundation courses and how does that work?

chrono_war01;127147 said:
Oh snap ladies and gentlemen, it seems like I'm not doing quite well with the new courses my school have chosen and I might not make it through with the required grades.

Can somebody tell me about Foundation courses and how does that work?

Can you get a tutor?

I don't know what "Foundation" courses are, but what subjects are you having trouble with?

From what I've read on the AUT and Otago websites it sounds like foundation it is a program for transitioning students into university. In the similar program up here, onward, the courses taken in it don't count for any of the major courses. It looks like it is the same in the foundation course, but the classes (papers?) are specialized for what you plan on studying in future. It may be a good thing to do as it would give you time to adjust to a new country, culture, lifestyle, etc. before starting on your degree courses. But, I'd wait to hear what SOS and Jean know about it.

Foundation courses are to get you up to speed in your desired area of study. They are also used to check the level of english for people for whom this is a second language.

from the website:
"Successful completion of Foundation Year to the required standards provides you with opportunities to study at all universities in New Zealand."

also they have a bridging course (I think this would be too basic for Eric though)

"The University of Otago Foundation Year has a bridging course beginning in January and April.
Successful completion of a bridging course is valid for entry to Foundation Year for 10 weeks from the completion of the course.
You can take a bridging course if you have a conditional or unconditional offer of place from the Foundation Year for the February intake.
You must have a conditional or unconditional offer of place from the Foundation Year for the June intake.
If you have a conditional offer of place you must successfully complete a bridging course before starting Foundation Year.
You are offered five weeks of focused study in subject areas that will help you prepare for Foundation Year."

Mock Exams Results are in!
Chemistry - Level 2 (1% away from a 3) [Need a 4 to pass]
Chinese - Level 6 [Need a 4 to pass]
Biology - Level 3 [Need a 4 to pass]

Geography - Level 5 [Need a 3 to pass]
English - Level 5 [Need a 3 to pass]
Maths - Level 2 [Need a 3 to pass]

Other results are coming in, but so far, not so good since if I fail one subject, I fail the diploma and checking the AUT entry requirements, I need the full diploma + a pass on the extended essay (the one relating to Ecology I whined to you guys about)

The real exam is between the end of April to the middle of May. Problem is that for subjects I'm weak at (such as Chemistry, Bio and Maths), the school hasn't finished teaching yet due to the amazingly big syllabus the IB demands us to do.

And no, I don't think you'd like to tutor me, I am cranky, dull and generally very slow when it comes to academic subjects.

Overall, I need an accumlated total of 24 points + my Extended Essay or another essay to pass my diploma. So far, the school has pledged it will go through Hell with me if it makes me pass the Extended Essay (which they did.) But academically, not so much BUT on the bright side, back to the 24 points:
2+6+3+5+5+2=23 which is pretty damn near 24 and I'd ideally reach it if my Extended Essay and the other essay both get a passing grade, bumping it by another 1 point. (In post edit: Just found the IB Diploma Award criteria on the Wiki, posted here if anybody wants to take a peek.)
In order to be awarded the full IB Diploma the following requirements must have been met:

at least three subjects are completed at Higher Level (HL) and three at Standard Level (SL).
should four subjects be completed at HL then only two need be completed at SL.
all six subjects have been awarded a numerical grade higher than 1, with a minimum total score of 24.
the CAS (Creativity - Action - Service; community service) requirement of 150 hours has been completed
the Extended Essay and TOK course have been completed and essays submitted.
additionally a grade D or better has been awarded in either the Extended Essay or TOK.
if the overall score is 24-27, there is no grade 2 at HL and not more than one grade 2 at SL; if the overall score is greater than or equal to 28, not more than one grade 2 at HL and no more than two grades 2 at SL; altogether, there are no more than three grades 3 or below
at least 12 points (12 for overall score 24-27; 16 if four HL subjects are taken) have been gained on HL subjects, and 9 (6 if only two SL subjects are taken) on SL subjects
the final award committee has not judged the candidate to be guilty of malpractice

If the above information is believed to be true, then the school has set higher standards than the diploma becuase the [Need X to pass] is given according to the teachers.

Damn.

P.S: Just looked up last year's graduation student list, apparently 1 went to the Uni of Otago.

chrono_war01;132630 said:
And no, I don't think you'd like to tutor me, I am cranky, dull and generally very slow when it comes to academic subjects.

I don't mind the cranky part, you are definitely not dull and if you were fast at the academic subject, you wouldn't need the tutor. It sounds as if you have the brains for these subjects, it's just that the curriculum (and teachers) is being taught too quickly for your mind to absorb it all.

Hang in there - how many students passed the IB last year? How many did not pass? Isn't your school supposed to help you pass?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back