• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

The Fate of the Ocean

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
DHyslop said:
I think you should, too :smile:

Dan

LOL...although the article is rather bleak. ah well, what did we expect? Time to eat more veal! 'sides, the President has assured us that global warming is a myth.

No really.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Well, relax and remember that the earth will recover. Its history is dotted by global catastrophes..."snowball Earth," the Permian/Triassic mass extinction, K/T impact, Paleocene/Eocene thermal max... Given that recovery time is often measured in millions of years, life will continue even if we do our worst.

Now, given that, the reason many folks don't care is they just think we're talking about some kelp going extinct and not us!

Dan

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Unrelated but you gotta love that "Ads by Google" bar at the top of each thread.
For this specific thread, i get ads for shark cartilage and shark liver oil :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nice... just plain nice... :evil:

TP:yinyang:TH

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
TPOTH said:
Unrelated but you gotta love that "Ads by Google" bar at the top of each thread.
For this specific thread, i get ads for shark cartilage and shark liver oil :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nice... just plain nice... :evil:

TP:yinyang:TH
The collection of the byproducts of shark fin soup is horrible!!!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Castor said:
The collection of the byproducts of shark fin soup is horrible!!!
Bleh! Shark liver is in my top ten most disgusting smells list! :yuck:

I wonder of google could be convinced not to accept ads for snake-oil products that cause horrible environmental consequences?

edit: I gave "ad feedback" to google, and pointed out that these ads may violate the adwords policy against "miracle cures." I referred to this thread as an example of reactions we have to these ads, so if google folks are reading this, a summary of the issue can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_cartilage (and the related link about shark fin soup has more details about the absurdity of shark fishing practices for gourmet and alternative/quack medical claims)

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I tend to not worry too much about things like this. Global climate change has been around for ages - and at the end of the day, its probably gonna happen/is happening and no-one's gonna stop it.
The thing is its a gradual process - if the sea leval rises - people will move. :biggrin2:
It sucks about the more unstable weather though, lots of problems with that.

We have the luxury to be able to worry, because if I was in the amazon and chopping down trees to make a living, a small shift in global temperatures probably wouldnt make much of a deterrant.

So don't feel too depressed, if were all going to hell in a handbasket :

Tupac Shakur said:
thats just the way it is
Terrible music, but on the money. :hmm:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaneMom6800

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean