Book Recommendations- Photos/ Informational Hardcover Books

Cross-posting because I wasn’t sure which forum was best for this- hope that’s okay!

I'm looking for primarily a high-quality hardcover photography/ coffee table book on cephalopods as a gift for a friend, but I'd also like it to have a good amount of interesting information (for someone who is very interested in cephalopods and would need information that goes beyond basic facts, but who does not have a lot of books on the subject).

I was looking at "Octopus, Squid, and Cuttlefish: A Visual, Scientific Guide to the Oceans’ Most Advanced Invertebrates" by Hanlon, Vecchione, & Allcock. Here is a link to that book: Amazon.com: Octopus, Squid, and Cuttlefish: A Visual, Scientific Guide to the Oceans’ Most Advanced Invertebrates (9780226459561): Hanlon, Roger, Vecchione, Mike, Allcock, Louise: Books.

I'm also considering "Spineless: Portraits of Marine Invertebrates, the Backbone of Life" by Middleton & Earle, linked here: Spineless: Portraits of Marine Invertebrates, the Backbone of Life, Middleton, Susan, Earle, Sylvia A, Earle, Sylvia A. - Amazon.com

Or "Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate" by Mather, Anderson, & Wood, linked here: Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate: Mather, Jennifer A., Anderson, Roland C., Wood, James B.: 9781604690675: Amazon.com: Books.

Any other recommendations? Grulke's Nautilus: Beautiful Survivor looks wonderful too, but is a little out of my intended budget. Hoping for something between about $20-$50, but could go a little over that.

I would recommend Hanlon's book from among this list. It has excellent photos and has a lot of information that some of the other "surface level" books may not cover.

I would recommend Hanlon's book from among this list. It has excellent photos and has a lot of information that some of the other "surface level" books may not cover.
Thank you, that's great to know! It was the only one of the 3 I couldn't find mentioned in previous forums (though I know Hanlon's other work is mentioned frequently). It looked the best to me, but didn't know if there was a reason it hadn't popped up, so this is super helpful!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back