• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank Setup Help

Jasper

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hello,
I have just gotten into the aquarium hobby and am planning on getting a ~50 gallon tank for a bimac octopus.
However, there's just so much information and different products, and I'm not sure what to get for the tank, especially in terms of filtration.
I would appreciate any help that any of you could give on this matter, as well as any general advice for beginners.
Thanks!

p.s. Also, if anyone knows where I could eventually acquire in the Boston area, that would be helpful too

If you click on the, "START HERE" text at the top of this Tank Talk forum, it will expose a list of recommended threads to help getting started with a ceph tank. In that list is a compilation thread with links to some of the longer build outs that are journaled and should give you some ideas for your own tank.

Welcome! You've come to the right place; D's recommended reading is a great place to start :smile:... any questions, ask away, and keep us posted on your progress - looking forward to following.

In addition to what others have mentioned, you will probably want the glass tank (50 gal is good like you suggested) and a sump (a filtration box underneath the tank). You can make the sump yourself by rigging up a second tank underneath your first, or you could buy a pre-made sump to make things easier.

I have used the company Eshopps (I believe the owner is from Boston) to purchase sumps from in the past. They redesigned their website recently and I really don't like it, but their products are good quality and they have many different sizes/filtration levels that you can sort through to find one that fits your needs. Here's a link. Their "reef sumps" and "AQUA-FUGE" product lines are probably about what you would be looking for.

Anyone can make a decent sump, and you should do your own research to find what's best for your situation, this is just a starting point so you know what to look for in terms of size and compartment organization.

You will want to have room for a protein skimmer, biological filtration media, mechanical filtration (a filter sock) a water pump, and a heater for starters.

I can give more specific advice (if you would like) if you share your space availability, budgetary range, and timeline for when you would like to have everything set up. Keep in mind it will probably take at least a month from when you put water in your tank the first time, until it will be ready to house an octo.

Thank you so much for the help. In terms of timeline, I'm okay with it taking a while, and am aiming to have the tank set up in around six months (it's going to be my first tank, so I want to make sure that I don't make any mistakes). As far as space goes, I have a fairly good amount of space, but was hoping to keep most of the filtration and tank maintenance stuff underneath the tank.
Again, thank you for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back