• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Safe tank mates for s.bandensis

milchy

Cuttlefish
Registered
1.) I will be soon purchasing my 55gal tank for keeping an s.bandensis, or two. Now my dream would be to have this tank as a soft coral tank too. ie. Would it be possible to keep a cuttle in a tank with zoo's, shrooms etc...

2.) Coming from reefing I am used to having a clean up crew in the tank. As shrimp and other such invertabrates are a staple foodsource for cuttles, what kind of clean up crew will be safe for me to have?

Thanks in advance.

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
Setting up your tank with corals and inverts should be fine providing there are no stinging corals like anemones, some of the LPS etc. Cuttles do not have protection against these and could be very painful for them should they get stung.

As for clean up crew, my tank orginated from a typical reef, and I have hermits, snails and an urchin. The have never bothered any of the crew at all. You are right though, shrimps may become a tasty snack fro your cuttles.

Good luck!

HTH

milchy

Cuttlefish
Registered
As for the corals? I really only want to have zoo's and shrooms, possibly some rics. So that should all be fine too?

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
milchy said:
cheers!

So hermits and snails are cuttle safe?

I was speaking from a bandensis point of view, althought the S Officinalis I had never bothered them either.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I noticed that the s. officinalis in the big tub at Hopkins Marine Lab was sharing space with a huge anemone. Can anyone else who was there identify the species?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi Erich, I have seen cephs and anemones in together too, I think the worst was when me and Nancy seen a GPO in with hundreds of anemones in Dallas :frown:

I think that the tank size is relevant here and perhaps if there is a big tank with plenty space the cuttle can steer clear of the anemone in normal practise but in a smaller tank like in the home the chance sof being stung are much much larger. I'd avoid then in a cephalopod tank.

i kept many species with officinalis. Suitable ones were leather corals, urchins, brittle stars, Linkia, zoos, shrooms, hermits etc etc. Just avoid the shrimps they wont last 10 mins :wink:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak