• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

ok everyone here are REEF BUGS!

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Joe,

Do you think it would be possible to get a detailed compositional breakdown from the manufacturer? What genera in what proportions?

Dan

from what i can tell it looks like lots of cyclopces, some sort of green colored plankton some small brown balls which im guessing are some sort of copopod or mysid shrimp egg, and small little white slivers that im guessing are the latter also. anyway ill keep yall updated on what comes out of this

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
joefish84 said:
i think that alot of that information may be classified from the public knowledge but ill see what i can do.
Didn't someone have one of those USB microscope webcam gadgets from thinkgeek? That'd be pretty good for assessing the little beasties.... can't remember who, though; someone with baby cephs or eggs, tho.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
joefish84 said:
i think that alot of that information may be classified from the public knowledge but ill see what i can do.
That would be a pretty silly thing to keep proprietary, IMO: if I was going to make a copy-cat product it wouldn't really matter what the proportions were. There's no risk associated with giving out that information, and tons of risk if you keep it secret: I suspect most reefkeepers would pass on this unless they knew it was pest-free.

Dan

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
OK, I just had a read through of the product website and am now much more skeptical.

http://www.marcweissaquariumproducts.com/reef_bugs.htm

Reef or marine “snow” is an aggregate of LIVING MICROBES clinging to, one or a combination of : organic, inorganic, volcanic, mineral, living or recently dead matter.

Reef Bugs™ yields particle sizes down to less than a micron and up to macroscopic particles. The individual living organisms are microscopic.

These microbes, primarily bacterial, and fungal (yeasts and related organisms) provide 30% of the planktonic matter raining down on the reef.
That means most of this is detritus: probably a lot of bioclastic material like diatom or foraminifera tests. The only things living are microbes. There are no amphipods, copepods, mysis or any other pelagic metazoans in here.

Dan

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak