• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octopus - SmartyPants???

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
When it comes to Pop science shows or more often the Internet, an opinion is often the only fact you need... :roll:

I still think a mirror is a good test of intelligence, but its yes/no.... :|

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
It's not a matter of instantly recognizing yourself, but coming to a realization that the creature staring back is actually yourself.... only a handful of primates are actually capable of this....

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Only for those of us whose visage is a crime against humanity..... Namely me and my degenerate pals....

:cthulhu:

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
They're supposedly more intelligent than the rest right? Octopuses and cuttles certainly don't pass the test, they simply start displaying colours.

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
We got into that in one of the threads from last year... i want to say it was a pakoc-type base thread but i dunno.... i remember the discussion started along the lines of eating "intelligent" creatures....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak