Hi! Octopus cartoonist here.

Hey everyone,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. My name is Sam Julian, and I am an octopus obsessive though I've always felt intimated at the thought of maintaining a personal aquarium. I like to look at 'em while scuba diving, and feed 'em while volunteering at the Aquarium of the Bay here in San Francisco.

For the last 2.5 years my love of octopus has been siphoned into a graphic novel that I've been writing and drawing called 'Octopolis'. It's a sci-fi fantasy that ask what would happen if, after humanity went extinct, the larger Pacific striped octopus, or the gloomy octopus, —any octopus really— evolved sentience?

If you like octopus (and I expect you do, since you're here on TONMO), then I hope you'll enjoy my comics. I try to pay close attention to the science and incorporate real-life facts about octopus biology and behavior into my work. Last year I even got to work with octopus scientist Danna Staaf on a nonfiction zine about cephalopod evolution.

Here are some examples of my work:
Village Scene Detail.png

1713846354286.png

1713846744893.png

Thanks for welcoming me into the TONMO community!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back